Diagnosis
12/2013
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Tucson
I am still able to walk with the help of ankle brace and walking stick, up to a mile or so. On my recent trip I opted not to request a wheelchair (pride?) This was a huge error that I paid for the first whole day of the trip. I'm on the way home now and wisely requested a chair. It was my first time to be in one and I had tears the whole way to the gate,but I know it was the right choice. This all is just so hard...

I am sorry. I know it was hard for you. Last month I posted a question about the size of Ft Lauderdale because I wondered about walking it. All our wonderful friends told me in no uncertain terms to ask for a wheelchair. My trip is coming up and I dread it! Good for you for being smart!

I read that thread,Nikki,but thought I would be fine since I still get around pretty well. Had to learn the hard way. Maybe others can benefit from my error.

>I am still able to walk with the help of ankle brace and walking stick, up to a mile or so. On my recent trip I opted not to request a wheelchair (pride?) This was a huge error that I paid for the first whole day of the trip. I'm on the way home now and wisely requested a chair. It was my first time to be in one and I had tears the whole way to the gate,but I know it was the right choice. This all is just so hard...

it sucks the way people look at me ...

I am sorry. I know it was hard for you. Last month I posted a question about the size of Ft Lauderdale because I wondered about walking it. All our wonderful friends told me in no uncertain terms to ask for a wheelchair. My trip is coming up and I dread it! Good for you for being smart!
Nikki, Let the airline know that you will need a chair to get you all the way to your seat inside the plane. They have a special chair that will fit the airplane aisles. You can take the normal wheelchair up to the jetway and then transfer to this narrower one.
We learned about this when we went for our daughter's graduation four years ago. The guy took my husband up to the jetway and then asked if my husband will manage from there. When we told him that he can't and explained why, he went and got this narrower chair. We talked to the flight attendants and made sure he got the chair at the other end.
If you have to fly in a smaller airplane where you have to get to the tarmac level, they will get you up to the plane in a lift.
Most important thing, get to the gate early and talk to the gate agent as soon as you get there.
Cancelled flights and missed connection can throw a big monkey wrench, but things usually work out because people are usually nice when they see that you really have a handicap that makes it hard for you to walk. On our way back, due to bad weather we were put on a flight the next day, and they put all four of us in first class. The connection was tight, and a nice young firefighter traveling with his young family helped my husband walk out of the plane.
Have fun on your trip.

Thank you Rose. I appreciate all the wisdom. I absolutely do not need an aisle chair yet, thank goodness but good advice for those who do. Southwest usually you don't need an aisle chair as they can get you into front row without.
People truly can be kind my sister had her power chair run out of battery power on the ramp to the monorail at Disney. And a young man with family stepped up and helped my BIL push.
I fortunately have no changes on this trip. Which is why I am going to Ft Lauderdale! miami did not have any direct from my home airport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back