Diagnosis
09/2013
Country
US
State
TX
City
Acuff
I had a bad fall on Thursday. Landed on my left side. Bounced my head on the tile floor 2 times. We live in a small rural community, so we have a volunteer fire department made up of family and friends. So my daughter called one of the wives of one of them and then she brought 2 of the guys. Then 1 more brought the fire truck. They assessed and said off to the hospital you go. So they called in and got an ambulance. So 6 hours later we got home. My left hand is very bruised where I landed on it, goose egg on my head, and a six inch bruise (so far, it keeps growing) on my hip. No broken bones, though it took two sets of xrays to rule out a pelvic break. Now just hobbling around and I type with 2 pencils using the eraser end. Praise the lord for caring friends.

Oh Tracy,

I'm glad you are ok - despite the bruising. It's a rude awakening isn't it? Was it a long ambulance ride to the hospital?

So - do you have rollator? Finally got mine last week. It's better than I imagined. Plus, I can carry stuff.

Take care!

I still use a rollator every morning and night. I was diagnosed. 2008. I am in PWC about 75% of the time"

Tracy,
I am so sorry you fell. It is quite traumatic the first time it happens. Tim fell the first time when he was in Texas, as he was stepping up a curb to get his mail. His right leg gave out and he fell straight back, without even putting his elbows back to break the fall. I was out of the truck before his head had finishes bouncing, and I was sick to my stomach. He wasn't knocked unconscious but said it sounded like there was a train roaring through his head. While I checking him out, and trying to figure how I was going to get him up 5 different people came to get their mail, and not one even said one word, let alone offer to help. He refused to let me call the ambulance, but I did manage to get him home. It knocked the straw out of him for several days. Also we both had a good cry as we were just beginning to realize what this disease was going to do to him.
Please take every precaution you can, not to fall, even though I know it goes without saying. Falling is worse for people with ALS as there is some research that suggests that it speeds up progression. I'll definitely say a prayer for you tonight.
Paulette

Tracy,

So sorry for your fall! Praying for you!
I agree with the others regarding the rollator. It is a security blanket!
And you have a seat with you, just remember to lock it!

Karen

I was not prepared for my wife's first bad fall.

But that is the way ALS is.

A procedure that seemed so safe the day before was based on where the wife's physical condition was at yesterday.

The day before she was able to support herself by leaning forward and resting on the shower grab rail. That day, in the 2 seconds she was in that position, her legs buckled causing her to let go and falling backwards hitting her head on tile bathroom floor.

Side of face turned black and her right arm turned black and swelled up .

My dad had numerous falls before we found out it was ALS. He fell down the basement steps at my house that are concrete the first time. Then he fell months later from the very first step going down to his basement. Fell going for a walk that he usually did for miles. Then while using a cane he fell hard onto the pavement right on our church parking lot directly after the twins confirmation. Luckily, he never broke anything but the bruising was awful. It was soon after that we got his diagnosis of ALS.

Tracey sorry to hear of your fall, please, as others have said use your rollator as we all know how serious falls can be! Anne xx

My doc cautioned me that falls inside are much more dangerous than out of doors. He reminds me to use my devices. Those pesky low window sills and sharp corners had me at the emergency room once for stitches and my elbows are constantly melonomicized.

I a m glad you are ok ...head trauma can be cumulative, be careful

So sorry to hear of your fall! I'm glad nothing was broken, but as well as the painful bruising, the shock of it is very unnerving and shakes your confidence for a time. I know that after a fall, it has taken more determination from me to try to get back to where I was. Sometimes that's possible, sometimes not (after a bad incident, I stopped trying to do stairs.). I still use a rollator, but am slower and more careful with it than previously. When one or other leg or arm feels weaker or more strained, I always hope that's the only one to give me trouble.

I hope you're feeling much better soon!
Linda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back