PALS
Diagnosis
04/2013
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Hi all, I am not an organ donor, but just recently my sweet neighbor/friend's husband was diagnosed with kidney failure. They are so special to my husband & I.

I want to give my kidneys to him. I am wondering if an ALS patient can be an organ donor.
Does anyone know if this is a possibility?

This has come up quite a bit before, and the answer seems to depend on the hospital, doctor, and/or the agency involved with transplants. Many won't take organs from PALS. So I suggest you get the ball rolling and see how far it goes. Thanks for being willing to be a donor!

Thanks Brian :smile:

Tex,

I know a CALS whose PALS donated several organs. She's since learned the recipients are thriving.

wow that is really great! are you able to be a living donor for kidneys? Do you have to first see if you are a match? That is really wonderful that you would even consider it. they must be very special friends!

Barbie, As long as we are a blood match. My blood type is 0- which is the universal blood type. It is compatible with all other blood types.
I do not think I would survive the surgery to be a living donor. My breathing is not good.

They are very sweet people and have been wonderful friends. It was my idea and I mentioned it to his wife. They will have to make the decision if they want an ALS patients kidneys.

If there is any way that I would pass this horrible disease on to someone else I would not do it. I will talk to my ALS doctor when I see him in a couple of weeks and see what he has to say about it.

I think I need to make myself more clear. I want to donate my kidneys AFTER I am dead. I am NOT wanting to kill myself by organ donation.
That thought never crossed my mind :shock:

LOL. what was that movie with will smith? what a tear jerker...

Glad you clarified things. I was afraid you were wanting to donate one now. I was thinking that wouldn't be a good idea to put yourself through the procedure now. I think organ donation is great though. Kim

LOL. what was that movie with will smith? what a tear jerker...

7 pounds is the name of that movie. Yes it was a sad one.

Glad you clarified things. I was afraid you were wanting to donate one now. I was thinking that wouldn't be a good idea to put yourself through the procedure now. I think organ donation is great though. Kim

After receiving a PM from a concerned forum member. I went back & re-read my post. Since that thought never crossed my mind, I didn't make my intentions clear in my original post.
I don't even think it is legal to do such a thing as to kill yourself by organ donation. Never heard of that one!

There was a report of a guy in Georgia, USA who want to start donating his organs and die that way rather than go through the suffering of ALS.

I'm all for donating after God decides my time is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back