Reason
Friend was DX
Country
US
State
California
City
mt shasta
Hi, I am new to this forum though since I have few diseases myself I am familiar with health forums. I have had great support from them.
Here is my question.
My Doctor has ALS and I just found out. He specifically told another patient that has contact with me that he wanted to tell me himself. He is one of the really 'favorite' doctors that are rare out there. In fact, I say that our is one of friendship that goes both ways though mainly he has helped me.
I want to do something to show him how much I have appreciated him over the years and that I would like to help out or support him in any way he would appreciate.
I cannot think of anything that I could give him since is he well off and can buy about anything he needs or wants....but just something that might show my love and appreciation.
I have thought of just writing this out in letter to him in nice card..but maybe any of you who know this disease can suggest something i could do while he still is alive.
I guess it came out this July that he had it...but I have been having exceptionally bad time so think that is why he has not told me yet. Plus..he knows i will cry because i care for him so much. Yes i have told him already what a nice person and great doctor he has been to me.
He was only Doctor up here that at first only would see Aids patients. Few years ago he started a free health service for the many people in this county without health insurance...just asked them to volunteer..pay it forward which has spread now to other counties around the US.
I am heartbroken...and just want to express it by both words and maybe small gift.
So appreciate any ideas.
Yes he is still working...i have not noticed any physical changes in him and know he has been working long hours but recently he has traveled a lot more...yesterday was first time every they called and said he was sick and had to change my appt.
I was told he had less than year..but from what i been reading i would think i see more physical changes or some at least but maybe he is trying to hide them from me. I know i do that as well when out i public...try to hide all my symptoms etc.
Well i appreciate any ideas, information etc. Sorry long i am just very heartbroken.
thank you

Tell him how you feel. Treat him as you've always treated him. Make him laugh. Let him cry. Its a lot easier for the pals when everything is out in the open and they don't have to pretend. I'm sorry your friend is sick.

What's his family status? As he is well off, he probably has all of the support he needs in terms of equipment resourses, caregivers, etc. If he has a family, it goes way beyond his needs. They will need support, too. Maybe the best thing you could do for him would be to support his family. Take a meal to them (or, in my case since I am a mediocre cook at best, have one delivered). If he has no family, write him a note, and make a donation to the ALS Association in his honor. If you have found a book that has been meaningful to you, send him a copy with a note. All of those things meant so much to my husband, my children and me.

Perfect Miss--exactly what I would recommend.

I think that just writing out your thoughts and feelings about him in a letter from the heart and maybe a gift certificate to a nice restaurant or just the letter would be very nice. I received many cards and letters from clients when they found out about my diagnosis and I felt very loved and appreciated by them all.

I guarantee that getting a hand written note or letter would mean the world to him. Then repeat by sending him cards ever so often. My dad loves to get cards. Also, if you make any handmade goodies they are always appreciated. My dad was home for a visit this summer and his neighbor's made him all kinds of stuff. He was in heaven when they made him homemade icecream. You seem to very a really compassionate, caring, and loving person. Sending you a hug as well. Kim

Hi

There is no one that can really say he only has a year with ALS, especially if he's still working today.

Those with ALS should be treated as those LIVING with ALS, not those DYING of ALS in my opinion. I think if you perhaps offer to spend time donating hours in his clinic some way...maybe later when he does have to stop working, visit.

As ALS progresses, so many lose their friends, it seems, as tjeir friends feel awkward. If you are financially able, donate in his name to places that have his mentality, like ALS guardian angels, where every last penny goes directly to those with ALS.

New drugs are on the horizon, new treatments. Yes, it is possible ALS might win....but it's possible it might NOT, TOO.

with ALS, there is just no hiding symptoms. They are all to painfully obvious.

Yes..I agree with notme. Friends are very important. Make sure he knows your there for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back