Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
CA
City
Stockton
Hi All~~~~

I need some help. Rog fell today as we were leaving the hotel. He says he tripped, remembered starting falling then blacked out! Has this happened to anyone else? He wants to watch rather than rush to any doctor... He landed on his face, bloodied his nose and bit his lip...another hotel guest helped me pick him up... He was soooo embarrassed!

Thanks,

Jen

Hi Jen,
Wish I could give you advice. The fact that he blacked out concerns me more then the falling though. How is he feeling now? Keep a close watch on him and if needed take him to the nearest ER. Keep us posted. Hugs, Kim

NO! Could well be something totally different but falls with blackouts used to happen to my MIL ALL the time and one time she fell though our sliding door glass, before safety glass regulations, lucky it didn't kill her. After many tests, $$$$$ it was determined she was just changing positions too quickly. Laying down to sitting up, sitting up to standing up or standing still to walking and fainting/falling due to blood pressure drops. Once she slowed down she was just fine! Sure hope he is okay. So sorry.

Like everyone else said, keep a close eye on him. You can black out with a fall, but the question is was he starting to black out (faint) before he hit the ground. Could he be dehydrated?

For years "Mom" used to say she tripped and then blacked out. :confused: In her case hard to "trip" standing up. Like CJ said.... which came first fall or black out? Take care, hope it doesn't cause too much issues with the travels.

Jen,

I'm thinking like Kiwi and CJ. Blood pressure drop. I would watch him carefully for any signs of a concussion . And definitely when he gets up from a seated position. Men are sometimes difficult to deal with when it comes to their health, but please stress how important how careful he must be.

I know you're about to embark on the "Love Boat", are you taking a pwc with you? If not, you might want to see how fast the A L S A where you are could get you one. Also, check in with the good doc tor. He could keep a check on his B P while on board.

I'm praying things calm down for you and calm seas ahead,

Thanks to you all!
We're in Nevada and Arizona.. Dehydration is a given and one face palm to me...he was blacking out as he was falling...he IS dehydrated as he didn't take all his formula yesterday or inject much water... Now that we are settled for a few days I will insure that he gets more liquids. He also has had a good nap and some liquids injected... Geez, time for a checklist!
The "love boat" won't let us on with a walker or wheelchair (hallways are too narrow) so if this is what he needs it's a good thing I bought trip insurance. He doesn't want to cancel our trip and has promised not to play fast and loose with the liquids...
What a day, I'm so glad I have all of you!

Jen

Good luck to you on your trip! Will he allow you to use G a t o r or P aide or anything with electrolytes? That might be a good thing to look into. We used the powdered kind, as it was cheaper to mix up a batch than buy in blttles.

I'm a little confused. Jen said a wheelchair is not permitted on the boat. Surely, she must be mistaken! Wouldn't the A C L U and any disa bil ities or gan i za tions have changed this ruling. I was planning on taking my ingrates, I mean my children during Christmas break.

I'm a little confused. Jen said a wheelchair is not permitted on the boat. Surely, she must be mistaken! .

I'm guessing that they must be going on some sort of river or lake cruise. Those boats are smaller & older and sometimes do not accomodate wheelchairs. Rest assured that your christmas cruise will allow wheelchairs. My favorite vacation now that I am stuck in a chair is a cruise. I find fewer obstacles at sea on a ship than on land.

Toto, it's a river cruise (good call hn!) that holds 130 guests in Europe... I'm sure the big cruise ships are ADA compliant...I don't think they even have planks for your "ingrates" to walk ... Hehehe

I think anything than can be dissolved will work in the tube... We'll try it!

Jen

I stareted getting that quite often too since Feb... does anyody know what causes this blood pressure drop?

Filmmaker,
A lot of it is dehydration, there's not enough blood volume and if you change from sitting to standing quickly you can get lightheaded. Try injesting more liquids... Are you on a PEG tube yet?

Jen

panguinen no I'm not on a peg tube yet, how do i know if I m dehydrated or hydrated enough? I must admit i do not drink a lot of water but that's because I hardly ever feel thristy...

Are your lips dry? If you pinch your skin does it stay pinched or does it return to normal right away? Is your urine yellow or clear/pale yellow? Those are the signs we use to check..

Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back