Reason
PALS
Country
CA
State
Québec
City
Montreal
Just out of curiosity, those of you who have undergone a muscle biopsy, did it show anything that was indicative of ALS? If so, why don't doctors use this method for diagnosis knwoing that many of use go a long way before they get the proper diagnosis?
Thanks everyone.

Muscle biopsies are not diagnostic of ALS. They will show muscle atrophy, but many conditions cause that. A muscle biopsy is really looking at muscle damage, rather than nerve denervation etc.

I have been curious about this also. Aly, could you explain what kind of muscle damage a biopsy would show? Would a neg biopsy rule out atrophy at all? Say if back or hip issues were a cause, would a biopsy show that? Thanks aly, you are so very helpful!

Thanks Allen! Excellent photos!

Thanks tr, so helpful as usual!

so that means at least the biopsy would show atrophy. But then, i guess they can see if the muscle has a disease in itself, if not ,m then atrophy is from denervation, I don't see any other cause....

hi filmmaker....I have atrophy from myopathy. Out of 3 biopsies, only one had a mix with denervation.

Hi Filmmaker, if docters supspect ALS or related disease a biopsie makes no sense is what i was told... now i'm off... take care!

I'm absolutely not the expert on this, however I will share that my Husband's muscle biopsy seemed to solidfy his neuro's diagnosis of ALS! His neuro was looking for any other possibility after the blood work, EMG, MRI......you name it and it was done! My husband's brother is a doc at UAB so unfortunately I'd become "somewhat" comfortable with the results we expected and subsequently received! His results reflected that "he had "active denervation"....whatever the crap that means! Based on everything that Sott presented and progression, his team at the ALS clinic seems to support the diagnosis-----UGGH! Again, I'm not the expert or even close on this matter, it was just a tool that Scott's neuro opted to use in an effort to rule out what he deemed what the diagnosis. Best of luck to you!

Ruth

so that means at least the biopsy would show atrophy. But then, i guess they can see if the muscle has a disease in itself, if not ,m then atrophy is from denervation, I don't see any other cause....

Reducing the amount of exercise or work using the muscle. An example of this would be immobilization of a joint (i.e., putting a cast on a limb that immobilizes the wrist, elbow, knee, or ankle). There can be considerable atrophy of the muscles that move a joint within a short period of time (two or three weeks, as my sister and I experienced a couple of times during our athletic youthful years).

So a biopsy will show active denervation, but so does a emg?

Kathylund, Filmmaker: my understanding is that if the 'only' problem a person has is ALS then a muscle biopsy should reveal the muscle is healthy, although perhaps atrophied (from less than normal use, for example). This can help an M.D. rule out many other possibilities and if ALS is the only one left, that is likely the 'diagnosis' that will develop. In ALS affected tissue, EMG tests can, at least for a while, show giant and/or polyphasic action potentials . . . these signals are 'louder' than the normal ones that should appear. If such giant and/or polyphasic signals appear, then the region of the patient's neuro-muscular system tested is undergoing processes that are trying to heal . . . there are many things that can cause these healing processes to activate, an athletic injury is probably the most common . . . but ALS is another. In most cases these processes will be successful but can require almost a year to complete. If the processes persist for a year or more, then one of the criteria for the ALS 'diagnosis' is usually considered satisfied (persistent lower motor neuron disorder). There are additional requirements for the 'diagnosis.' I do not believe a biopsy will show active denervation, the EMG will show active efforts to REINNERVATE the muscle area and if this persists for too long a period of time, active denervation is IMPLIED. ALS disease processes are widely believed to cause active denervation . . . but the matter remains unproven because the cause(s) of ALS remain unknown. Denervated muscle tissue will indeed atrophy. Technically, neither the muscle biopsy nor the EMG may show active denervation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back