Diagnosis
11/2011
Country
US
State
AR
City
Wickes
My legs are so heavy at night it is hard for me to get comfortable...wondering if anyone else has this problem and if so what are you doing for this?

Judy

Are you relating heaviness to being unable to move them once you are lying down? If so, you need the help of a caregiver to help move and rotate you thoughout the night when you need it.

No...I am a side sleeper...haven't found a position that is comfortable for my legs. My husband moves me when needed if I can't move myself kmendsley.

Judy

Have you tried a pillow or, if you're long-legged like me, a body pillow between your legs? It also helps to put another pillow behind your knees and another behind your back so you don't feel like you'll roll backwards.

@glupavomomich...I was thinking about body pillows behind back and for my knees and ankles...Thanks. I'll try the pillow behind the knees.

Judy

Oh, body pillows work the best then :)

Body pillows it is then!

Judy

I also have the heavy leg syndrome, I can't move my right leg and the other doesn't do much either..I sleep on my left side because of the right leg..I am somewhat inclined pillows, pillows, pillows...I use one between my knees, helps elevate and that way they are not lying on the other one, joints hurt when they have been in one position for so long..and yes sleeping is difficult....most all of my problems thus far are on the right side of my body..loosing strength in right arm..getting into bed in and out of bed , into vehicle from wheelchair and from vehicle to wheelchair. This works for now..but I know in the future someone will be pulling me across the board..but you can take it wherever you go.

The most comfortable way to sleep on the side is with the knees slightly bent and pillows between the knees--to the ankles--so bones don't rub together.

If that doesn't provide relief, I'd suggest sleeping with the foot of the bed elevated slightly and trying the pillow beneath the knees to keep them elevated.

I have a hospital bed I use that has built-in massage, which helps quite a bit unless I'm in very bad pain. I think the massage on the bed helps with circulation, perhaps. I'd also suggest a tempur-pedic type of pad on the bed if you don't already have one.

Thankyou for the info Charkayr and Notme...I will use this tonight! Charkayr...what is the board?

Judy

Transfer board. You can g o o gl e it. You can probably find a video on u t u b e.
Register with the MDA. They'll send you a couple of very useful booklets about ALS and tips and techniques for the equipment and how it's used.

Deb...I have a transfer chair...Mayo clinic gave us several booklets when I was there for my diagnosis. I registered with ALS...is this different from MDA? I thank you and everyone else for all the valuble info you provide!

Judy

You probably registered with the ALS Association. Mayo is a certified ALSA Clinic.

The Muscular Dystrophy Association has an ALS Division. They also have certified ALS Clinics and loan closets. They have a national website with lots of news and information and send out a quarterly news magazine called Quest. Find the number for the MDA that covers your area online and request a registration packet for your physician to sign and return. They'll mail you the caregiver's guides and give you a point of contact for your area.

You should also register with the CDC (Center for Disease Control) to help provide data for researchers.

I also found that switching from blankets to a feather comforter helped..less constricting and weighty

@ Deb...I will register with MDA...already registered with CDC...thanks again for this info.
@ hjlindley...I know what you mean about blankets being restrictive and weighty...I have a lightweight down blanket on my bed. Do you have a suggestion for sheets?

Judy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back