Diagnosis
02/2011
Country
US
State
CA
City
Roseville
My husband's doctor has ordered an AVAPS machine for him to begin using at home. His lung function is still ok, but is declining. I am not familiar with this technology although it was explained as being a more accurate breathing machine. Just curious if anyone is using one and has any suggestions for when the RT comes out to set it up.
Thanks
Love and light
Meg

An AVAP estimates the patient's tidal volume with each breath and compares it with the target tidal volume. If necessary, the algorithm slowly increases or decreases inspiratory pressure for each breath. It also will be set to take a breath for him, if he doesn't take one on his own. I think mine is set to breathe for me after 5 seconds elapse.

Having experienced BiPAP with, and without the AVAP technology, I can say it does make me feel better to have the AVAP. AVAP is the way to go.

Make sure the RT doesn't just drop the machine and run (figuratively) have your husband use the mask they decide on laying down as well as sitting up, because the fit is much different when we lay down. Also don't be pushed into the first mask, unless its perfect and he loves it. The comfort of the mask will be one of the deciding factors as to how receptive he is to wear it like he's supposed to. Air should not escape from it, it should not blow into the corners of his eyes. If it leaks, there is a better one for him, or the headgear needs adjusted.

Make sure you understand the humidity settings, and whether or not the humidifier part of the machine needs to be turned on separately from the air blowing function.

Use distilled water, or reverse osmosis water. Tap water, due to the chemical is drying (very drying) to nasal passages and throat, and the minerals in it will destroy the machine.

I hope others have input for you, I am extremely pressed for time right now, so this will have to suffice for me for the time being.

good luck. I continue to feel that the use of the avap/bipap is the biggest help in keeping me as strong and healthy as is possible.

AVAP was very good to us. We tried three different kinds of masks before finding one that didn't chaff. Also inquire about the nose pillow.

Good to see you on Mike:) We had to get a full face mask, Bruce hated the mask that you hadthe rubber things that went in your nose.

I love my AVAP bipap.....but I got claustophobic with the masks so I use the nasal pillows....with a chin strap so I dont breath thru my mouth. They should send out a respirtory therapist who knows the right settings for the FVC breath scores....good luck!

Thank you all for your input! And Mike, I am so glad to see you around. I am anxious for this next phase, but also hopeful that it will provide additional energy for hubby.
Love and light
Meg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back