Wivik users is it really worth the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostin

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
th
State
phuket
City
patong
seems a lot just for a keyboard that does text to speach.

Hon--there are programs that do text to speech that are free or nearly free. Check into Prolog2go (I think that's the name) and there are others as well.

Also, if you are needing such devices, check with your ALSA loaner closet and see if they have anything--also with Stu and Guardian Angels to see if they have had anything donated.

There are some pretty good text to speech software programs out there--look at the bottom of this page--there may be some links to them there.

The post below has one when the mods approve it

Last edited:
I think the text to speech feature is a secondary function for wivik.

For me the real benefit of Wvik is the inclusion of WordQ for word prediction. Cuts my typing time down the by about 75%.

I'm renting wivik for about $60/year.

If you are looking for text to speech software check out etriloquist - it's free

I couldn't even find the one he'd posted in the original post.

My speech isn't an issue for me at all unless I'm in the middle of a major asthma attack--but I did download the software just to see if it worked. It seemed pretty decent considering it was free.

If you do try the one I listed in the meantime--be sure to put a space between things like ALS or it tries to make it one word rather than letters. There are several voices to choose from--and they do have a paid version as well.

rcharlton--where do you rent it from? I'd imagine that information would be very helpful to PALS.

I rent it from the equipment pool at my ALS clinic.

Wivik, as far as I am aware, is an onscreen keyboard. It's not really meant to be used as a text-to-speech device. There are free software substitutes available for Windows-based computers.

If you have a Windows Vista or Windows 7 computer, both text-to-speech and speech recognition are already built-in. You simply need a program to access the functionality. Supposedly, the last two versions of Microsoft Word can use this built-in functionality to act as a text to speech program.Haven't met anyone who recommends it.

notme, Proloquo2go is a text-to-speech product for the iPad/iPod/iPhone. It has a big brother called Proloquo for the MacBook and other Mac OS X computers. Be sure and specify that those programs run only on Apple products -- it prevents confusion.

Richard, did you ever try Click-N-Type? It also has word prediction and is free. I especially like some of the special keyboard layouts that they provide and I've been able to add words to its prediction list by simpiy editing a text file.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another free one is MyVoice...check it out...has nice voices.

The one I'd posted the link to was free. Not sure why it was deleted. I know I annoy a few folks here, but cant see why a link to a free program would be deleted.

I did download the program to be sure it worked before I posted it.

Sorry about the Prologu2go thing, trfogey. It's not even inexpensive anymore, it costs $200 now for iPads.

The one I'd posted had versions for Mac or Windows.

Can someone tell me why they'd have deleted the link?

Last edited:
don't know, notme. some of my posts go to moderation and I never see them again- with no message of being deleted.

don't know, notme. some of my posts go to moderation and I never see them again- with no message of being deleted.

I was just confused because I think rcharlton approved it as it showed up, then it was removed.

I try not to post links, but I figured a free program that I tried myself to make sure it worked and was free would be okay.

Sigh. I seem to be annoying the moderators lately.

Can someone tell me why they'd have deleted the link?

PM the link to me and I'll see if I can figure out why they might have deleted it. Besides, if it's for Windows and it's free, I want to test it and add it to my personal list of resources if I haven't already looked at it.

One of these days, I need to put all my freebie links up on a blog here so that they don't get lost when I'm gone.

The Proloquo family of software for the Apple machines are good AAC (alternative and augmented communication) products. A PALS friend of mine that recently passed away was a beta tester for both products and thought very highly of them. But you are right, notme, they are expensive.

One other thing we need to remember here in this thread is that the original poster is in Thailand, not the US or Canada, so he's looking for things that he can download over the Internet.

lostin -- if you'll be a bit more specific about what you need and tell us what operating system you're currently using, I can put together some more specific recommendations for you. I get the impression from this post and a previous one that you are losing your speech, so I'd like to help you if I can.

how do you get to rent it? i see only a one-time purchase on the site

lostin,

rcharlton is in Canada. The ALS clinic that he attends has apparently worked out some kind of deal with the makers of Wivik that allows patients at that clinic to use a licensed copy of the software for a set annual fee. I doubt that that "rental" arrangement is generally available, although you are welcome to ask the Wivik folks and report back on what you find.

I have lost my abilty to speak. I use an I Pad 2 for text to speech. I found free apps..Verbaly. I can still hold a stylus so I use UPAD lite. That works with a finger or knucke as well. Brookstone sells a Boogie Board that is great too. First one I bought cost $20 a year ago...up to $40. I use the stylus or a retracted pen to write with..push a button it erases.

i'll just go ahead and buy it. can't take money with me and i can make enough in 3 hours at roulette to pay for it

yes my speech is down to 5 %

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back