Diagnosis
5/2008
Country
US
State
Ga
City
Snellville
Has anybody else have trouble with your primary Dr getting reluctant to treat you? Mine has been helping me with pain management, and refilling my prescriptions. Lately it seems like my Dr is getting tired of fooling with me. I have to communicate with him using email since I can't talk, and he hates emailing and rarely checks his email. When he finally gets back with me it sounds like he has a attitude. I talked my mom into baking the office a cake to ease the tension, but it didn't help! lol! It seems like als scares everyone away! I am down to just a few friends now too!

Phil- That really sucks. I dont have an answer for you, but I wanted to just say that its BS that you are being treated that way.
Last time I checked, your money is as good as anyone elses, so what the heck is the problem?
UGH. Wish I could do something to help you out.
Oh, I will be your firiend if that interests you... i can be very fun...hehehehe.

Phil,

The Primary I have thru the V.A. has changed several times. Each new Primary Doc looks over my chart and asks the same question, "What's PLS?".

I'm really surprised the cake didn't get you anywhere.

The hospice doctor (an internist), just came by about 1/2 hour ago to re certify my mom. His first question was, "so what can you tell me?"
I just could not resist the urge and asked, "well, what do you know about ALS?" He said, "not much", and we resumed from there. Her regular internist before hospice, was just plain freaked out about FTD and ALS. Maybe your doc feels like he's in over his head. Hopefully (for your sake), he pulls himself together, and starts acting like the well educated MD that he's supposed to be.
Laura

Have you considered firing him and getting a new gp? You should not have to put up with his ignorance and lack of compassion. You have enough to think about. Praying for You! Liz

Phil that is just terrible. The shoe could be on the other foot. Wish I could help:)

Phil,

I always knew you were too hard to handle! :wink:

Seriously, my husband's GP has now become reluctant to treat my husband. At first she was gung ho, but then after the last PEG incident and the falls, she seem's to have changed her mind. She seems to hate it when we see her and won't acknowledge that she cannot understand him. My husband just looks at me and says never mind it's not important.

Hey man, you are tooooo much trouble. You ain't ready for that there nursin home and you still have yer wits about ya! What's a doc to do?!?

CJ, thats how my GP was at first too. He was very helpful, and said that <not only would he be my Dr, he would be my friend> I am not needy at all. I just want to feel comfortable, and I am in pain. All I ask of him is to keep my prescriptions filled, especially the pain meds. I am miserable without them. Thanks to Ronald, and Nancy Reagen's war on drugs. Its hard for even the terminally ill to get treated for pain. You pretty much have to have decapitated body parts to receive pain medication lol!

Phil, if only... you had a GP who was in touch with your Neuro, and could handle the pain meds for you without an attitude.

My Pulmonary doc is who I've been thinking of as my "main doc", as he as well as all the Clinic folks encouraged us at one time that they'd do my prescriptions. Well, last week he wanted to know who my "main doc" is... to handle the paperwork. Problem is, my primary care doc lost her husband suddenly to a massive stroke, has school aged kids and has really downsized her practice. I hate to bother her...although insurance will pay up, which may help her. She has, however, in the past, wanted to know if my Neuro couldn't take care of my needs, so maybe she isn't wanting to be a part of this.

I see your new post. How long since you've been to a Neuro or clinic? Any way, in other words, they can order pain meds for you?

They can prescribe the pain meds, but they can't just call in, or fax prescriptions for pain meds. I have to have a prescription in hand, and they can't even put refills on the prescriptions. My neurologist is in downtown Atlanta. Not a easy drive, and I don't know how they feel about mailing it. Drug addicts have really made life difficult for real patients!

Phil,

Emory mails a "controlled substance" prescription every month to our home. It's a pain in the butt to keep up with, but that's the only way the state of GA will allow the Rx to be filled (hard copy - no fax or phone call).

Thanks for bringing this up, because I didn't think about pain meds being on the controlled substance list and my husband has just started taking a prescription for his pain. Guess I'll have to start marking my calendar to email Emory about new RX to be mailed.

There is an absolutely wonderful neuro in Lawrenceville that originally diagnosed my husband. He wouldn't be too far for you, maybe. I'll PM you.

Why can't the doctor just phone it in to your pharmacy? Asking this because we use Emory too so it will be good to know in the future.

Joni, thats just the law for controlled substances. ALS is not suposed to be painful, so some Dr's get suspicious when you talk about being in pain.

We have our pain meds mailed, someone over 21 has to sign for them. Some are class 2, which are not allowed to have refills, just have to call and have the doc put in a new script every month. However, we deal with the VA, and the pharmacy and doctor are in the same bldg.Vicoden(hydrocodone) is a class 3, not as strong as the Percoset(oxycodone) but at least something. Maybe a class 3 would be an option.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back