Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
Ky
City
ky
I have been thinking about getting Dad a NOOK. (NOOK is like a Kindle, but Barnes and Noble version) He has minimal control of his arms and hands, but it is a touch screen, and has an audio book feature, so i thought that might make it easier. I am just looking to give him an alternative to watching tv. What do you think?

I got a Nook for Christmas and I absolutely love it. I would recommend it for anyone who likes to read. I am not the one with ALS but it would be easier to read than holding a book for someone with hand control issues.

Yes, I would highly recommend it. I love to read, but was struggling holding open some of the heavier books and the audio books just aren't the same. Nook is so much easier

I have a Kindle and have minimal use of my arms. It is the best thing I have gotten, except for the Dragonspeak! My Kindle has an audio setting also, and on occassion I have used it in the car for both my partner and I to listen. Beats a lot of TV and keeps me engaged which keeps the doldrums from setting in! :0

To All Nookers and Kindlers: I would love to know if by buying one or the other you are then restricted to the store which sold it for your books to read/listen to.

My temporary way of dealing with weakness is for Phil to cut big paperback books into parts so I only have a small amount of weight to hold. Needless to say, these books aren't going to be given away later...having been "destroyed". I read only in bed with a pillow on my abdomen and the book propped onto the pillow. The head end of the bed is raised somewhat. I like being able to read a real book so I can check back and re-read parts later... but realize this is slowly getting harder.

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. Just registered today. My wife was diagnosed with ALS in October. She received a Kindle for Christmas. She loves it! It works great. The screen is good anywhere - no glare problems. We went to FL for Christmas and she sat outside in the sun and read without any problems. She has no use of her left arm, so this was a godsend. It is very thin and has a very long battery life. I'm not intimately familiar with the NOOK or any of the other readers out there, so perhaps another one might be better. I just know that the Kindle has been great.

Journeyman, so sorry your wife has this disease, but I want to welcome you to the forum. Good for you, posting the day you registered! I hope you find lots of support and help here... and we often have a lot of fun, too. I want to recommend the "search" feature at the top in the blue bar... You can click onto the blue words and names, including your own in the upper right, and find any messages left for you on your profile page. Also recommend the "FAQ" in that blue bar. I'm telling you all this as someone who was extremely slow to pick all of this information up...
Ann

Ann, you can highlight sections of your book on the Kindle and pull them up when you want. You can also type notes in the book but for me, the keys are too small. I do highlight frequently.

I think you can get books from other sources but I haven't tried to figure that out yet. So far I have been satisfied with everything available from the Kindle store.

Pretty cool, Diane. Thank you!

Ann, thanks for the tips. I have a lot to learn here, I'm afraid.

There were a couple of other things I wanted to mention on the Kindle. It is associated with Amazon, so you can download the books from them. I'm not sure if it will download from other sources. Also, Karigav mentioned weight as an issue. The Kindle is very light. The others might be also, I don't know. Lastly, it has an audio feature.

Steve

My husband can now read all of his Kindle books on his eyegaze......another door opened!

This is all very good news. Thanks to all who have contributed.

Thanks to all for your responses! I did get the nook for him, and I think he is excited to use it. I have to back down next week and help tutor him on it. (he had company over the day I took it down) I just want to say thanks so much for your support. I love this forum, and appreciate each of you!
Thanks again!
Kari

Mom loves her Nook! Nook color though...it is a touch screen. I got the other one by mistake and it would not have been good for her. I took it back and the color one is the greatest. Now she reads again instead of watching tv.

I got a kindle for Christmas and absolutely love it. I definitely reccommend them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back