Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
US
State
CALIFORNIA
City
san diego
I like this site, I have learned more from my new family here than the doctors. they read about what this sickness is but you- we all live it day to day. i know i can come here and get good advice and understanding. my question is, can a pal harm them self by over useing arms or legs as he or she gets weaker ?

Yes, you can do harm as if the muscle has damage it does not heal.

smwelder-
You can most definitely do harm. You have to walk a fine line though, because not doing anything will cause atrophy in itself. Do what you can, but listen to your body if you are tired, then you need to rest. Unlike those that can exercise, or work their bodies to improve strength, getting that "burn" is a damaging proposition for PALS.

You have gotten great advice. I just want say that as far as your comment that their is a lot of excellent information to be found here you are 100% correct! The knowledge and the wonderful people on this site make it wonderful family to be part of.

That's answerd my worries too, I'm afraid of doing too much and making things worse.

Again, YES you can do serious damage. My husband worked a very physically demanding job, and he worked it for over a year, not knowing he had ALS. He has incredible back, neck, and shoulder pain now as a result. The saying if you don't use it, you'll lose it, should be changed to if you use it, you will lose it much faster.

I'm just here to add my agreement. In fact, the thinking that exercise is needed for areas of the body not yet hit by ALS, can be untrue. If you are simply tired at the end of a normal day from "Activities of Daily Living", you've done your exercise. It's different for each of us, what we can or cannot do even in those daily normal activities. Fatigue hits some much harder and earlier than others. When you're tired, the best thing to do for yourself is to stop and to rest... without guilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back