Diagnosis
05/2010
Country
FR
State
tarn et garonne
City
valeilles
yes the moment has arrived when I can no longer tranfer alone. I cried and cried when impossi ble toget out of bed this morning. It became quite dangerous. So please, what are the best ways of transfer when no-one is aound? Or even when they are. Thozse huge crane things must take up so much room and cannot be very quick when you need a pee?
Help, please, friends.......this is a depressing moment. Knew it was coming but the definitive failed effort and believe me I tried -is heart breaking. Everything going so fast my n eck, my arms, voice..........But you all know all about it. How dare I complain! BUT i have conjunctivitis as well, bohooooo, what a baby!
LOve you all. SHall feel better when I have had my coffee when I CAN get out of bed

So sorry honey. Be careful, PLEASE! We can"t have you pulling a Beth on us. HUGS Lori

So so sorry to hear this. My wife has not been able to ger herself out of bed for some time since her arms are useless but she can still walk once she is up. I wish I had some usefull advise; I don't but my heart goes out to you. Hang in there and keep posting. I have not been on the forum very long but I already look forward to seeing your posts. Jim

Sweet Iris:
Our hearts go out to you, it just isn't right that you don't have the proper assistance. But, your original question about lifts, and this is from my more medical days: those like the Hoyer are large, bulky, but the long legs do fit under some furniture. Are you wanting to transfer from your bed to a transport chair or a portable commode? A motorized lift may be fitted with a remote or hand-held control. It would seem however that assistance would be needed for this type of transfer. I know it's an hour or two later since your post, but I'm sure there are others with more experience here.
I just wanted you to know that we care.--Jay

have discovered the state will pay for a lift but I always think of those poor cows being lifted off ships at the docks when I see them. Is there any advice about the best kind. Are any transferrable enough to be able to be used in deifferent places - toilet, bedroom, even getting in and out of car?
Please.
Thnk you

I have found that the super poles I have by my bed and the toilet help out immensely. I call them stripper poles, but have as yet to entice anyone to give a show. These are loaned to me from the Als Society.

Another trick I use is to jack the bed up high so that when I slide out I get to stand with little extra effort required. I have a motorized hospital bed.

Glen

Glen I PROMISE to give you a show when I get to your house!How do the poles stay firm Are the y actually attached to the ceiling?

joel, your house is lovely and your organisyion fanrasric. Unfotunately my bathroom is very small. You men are lucky you can use bottles. No oyther ladies with the same problem?

HNal thank you for the link some great looking stuff there. But is there ANYTHING one can manage alone?

Irismarie ~ talk about selfless ............one post you are stressed about how you can no longer transfer alone and that you are so saddened by it and then not several minutes later you are replying to a post with "what can I do to help?" It is my honor to know someone like you! Cate

Irismarie, I am sorry but I have no experience with this topic so I cant offer any suggestions. If there was any way in the world that I could come and help you I would.

Barry

Irismarie, I will second what Barry said - I wish I could help in a tangible way. Here in Montreal, my dad was being transferred from his bed with a Hoyer lift at first and then with a more elaborate mechanism that had a track running across the ceiling but of course he never transferred himself alone and quite frankly his transferring days were short-lived since he has been completely bed-ridden since January.

We have assistance through our public health care system. My mom is aided by a nurse who comes every morning and another who comes every evening. I am sure you have something similar in France.

My dad also had stripper poles like the ones Glen described and I don't want to know what happened with those poles other than my dad using them to get in and out of his rising recliner. :shock:

I sure do wish there was more I could do. I also wish with all my heart that you did not have this problem at all... none of you! I hope that you had a better morning today. You are in my thoughts, Irismarie.

Iris, do you have use of your hands? If you do then install a ceiling lift and have it go from your bed into the bathroom (over the toilet). This way you could connect yourself using a sing and transport. It might sound complicated but it really is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back