10/2013
Country
US
State
PA, No longer live in ME
City
Pocono's
All,
I know the title is misleading need some help here. Music is my escape and my downloads on my I-Pod (yes I still use one) and phone are getting stale. I listen to mostly classic rock (60's and 70's) some modern country cause it sounds just like what we used to call Southern Rock back in the 70's. Not much 80's but things really started to rock again in the 90's and early 2000's. Got most of the main steam stuff Zep, Beetles, CSN and Y and so on. I'm the looking for those hidden classics that that I may have forgotten due to the abuse I put my brain though in my youth.

Haven't seen any posts like on the web site lately, was a time we would do posts like this for fun (mainly to pick on each) and to take our minds off the ALS for a while. Sorry if you think it is inappropriate please delete it if it does not belong

Thanks
Mike

You might try Ranker dot com. While you may not agree with their ranking, you will find reference to bands you have not thought about for some time. In the next reply, which will likely go to moderation, I'll include a link for Southern Rock.

Jim

I'm not sure if you've tried Songza dot com or not. They have some pretty decent play lists with some unexpected gems.

Hey Mike,
Was just looking at my playlist: Spirit, Quicksilver Messenger, Al Kooper, Blind Faith, Dave Mason, Jeff Beck, Paul Butterfield, Savoy Brown, Ten Years After, The Vogues, Zombies, etc. These are just a few of my classic favorites. Many more!
Marty

The various Web-based music services will build a playlist/stream from your faves, e.g. Amazon, Apple, songza as SK mentioned. Plus, iTunes radio or any other radio app can find you thousands of free stations to pick from. You're right, alt-folk and alt-country today (along w/ some pop!) crosses over a lot w/ rockabilly, surf, psychedelic, Americana of yesteryear and kind of coming back.

This is one of the posts where I wish Steve would post and read posts. He loves music and used to play the guitar. He no longer can. He listens to music a lot on his pad. I did tell him about this post and he uses Spotify which has a huge library and you can search genres and top songs for the genre and years. I stay current with the music but love my 70's and 80's rock. I love putting on Don Henley, the Eagles, love Bob Segar, the blues but what comes to mind that I need to download and listen to is Van Morrison. I think when cleaning house tomorrow I will put in the buds and listen to some Van Morrison. Thanks for posting this Mike.

Hey mike, last month I was at a friends house and she had this great little record player box. I told her that I had 100's of vinyl and no way to play them. Week later she sent me a record playing box and now I have a winter project, cleaning off and playing music. Chally

love vinyl!

Some of those online radio stations where you choose the genre you want may give you a great way to find new old music that you had forgotten or missed!

Songza probably has the biggest selection, but I also like Pandora. It has a biography of the singer/group and is the only one I have found
that has the lyrics for many of the songs available without leaving the page. No more "There's a bathroom on the right"!

Chally, there is a way to record those vinyls directly onto your computer so that when you can't handle the records you can listen to them on the computer. (Basically connect a cable from the output port of the record player to the input port--microphone port--of your computer's sound card. Bring up your sound cards controls and make sure the microphone isn't muted. Use the freeware program Audacity to record the music as you play it on the turntable.) Audacity can record anything that is playing on your computer. I went through all my old LP's and 45's to do that so I didn't have to find and pay for them again. If you are a real vinyl lover you may prefer the non-digitalized sound but there is freeware out there to help you edit out any clicks or pops.

Ditto Diane's suggestion. My turn table, bought from Best Buy, has a digital output. Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back