Diagnosis
05/2009
Country
AU
State
VIC
City
Wodonga
I type an awful lot these days. Every conversation is typed (and how unfair is it that non-vocal people have to spell correctly when they ‘talk’?). Emails, essays, business, friendship; everything comes back to typing. And happily I’m a pretty fair typist. Straight from the HSC exams I enrolled in Typing School, graduating before Christmas ’79 with a typing speed around thirty words a minute. Those were the days when an electric typewriter (gasp!) was a scarce and very new invention; and Daisy Wheels were years away. Perched high above Circular Quay I was the only male in a room full of skirts; eager secretarial students as far as the eye could see. But I had one thing only on my mind (the proof: I married my first and only girlfriend) … I was there to type! On day two my typing teacher flourished a timber box that fitted snugly on the typewriter, and allowed me one last look at QWERTY before she bade me type blind!

Nothing happened. I was paralysed with blind fear.

Thewui cj brownf oz jumpz ovf the lszu d ig.​
But I persevered, and eventually took my brand new portable typewriter (with black and red ribbon!) to university where, for a while, I was at the very cutting edge of technology while other students were still handing up their laborious, longhand essays. Touch-typing has been a great asset ever since, especially as computer keyboards have sprouted everywhere; but it’s today, more than thirty years later, that I have become truly grateful for this skill.

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.​
I am typing less and less. My arms give out sometimes, but the reall problem is that words are getting hard to find. I begin a reply to an email, or I try to comment on a post here on the Forum, and I am lost for words.

For weeks I have toyed with a suspicion that speech is intrinsic to thought: if you change the way you speak, do you change the way you think? I know I am (or was) an ‘out loud’ thinker. The most wonderful thoughts have usually come to me mid-flight in speech; those glorious, revelatory insights into life are (or were) a beautifully vocal event. One of my adult daughters once asked me, as we chatted into the night by the ocean, what colours I could see in my mind. Well, there were no colours at all in my mind! She is a superbly creative girl, and it was fascinating to hear her talk about the constant stream of colour-consciousness that is to her like language itself. This conversation awakened me to an aspect of myself: I ‘see’ (or saw) a stream of words of every kind; a continual, textured, sometimes subtle, sometimes comic inner-thesaurus. But the stream is drying up it seems, and I don’t know what to blame. Physical ability? Myriad decisions and concerns? Nasty narcotic pain killers? Or speechlessness itself perhaps?

My typing teacher was a wiry old spinster with her hair pulled back in a bun so tight it flared her nostrils. But she could type at 120 words per minute, hands flying high above a manual typewriter in a crazy racket punctuated by the episodic ‘ding’ at carriage end. I owe her much; or at least I owe a debt to Providence that took me there to typing school so many years ago. The congruence of these events – learning to type and needing to type – is inescapable, and often comes to mind. Although separated by decades they seem a blink apart, giving me confidence that today was seen by Heaven way back then. This much I understand: I have been well prepared and well equipped. I feel this providential-preparation in my carpenter’s carryall that I have kept for many years, from which I have been able to create Bugger (the power chair), and other useful gadgets. I feel it in the many sustaining friendships I enjoy; and I feel it in the schools of faith from which I have learned, which thankfully do not promise every answer here on earth.

But I shall keep on typing!

Roderick, I'm sorry you are having such difficulties typing. Please hang in there!

I took my typing class in 1977 and there were no electric type writers. My sentence I had to type blindly was "Now all good men come to the aid of their country". I also have found myself grateful for the skill I learned. It is likened to learning to ride a bike. Something you never forget. I also am at a loss for words. I have so much to say and yet putting it into written form takes away the spontenaiety, ease and the inflection. I have found myself silenced and my head is swimming with words and expressions that want to explode out of my mouth. I wonder why God allowed my voice to be taken before the use of my hands or legs? I have been asking God what is it that You are wanting to teach me? I know that I am deeply saddened that I am silent. And yet I look to God for what must be a wonderful journey He has planned for me.

Roderick, I'm sorry you are having such difficulties typing. Please hang in there!

I sure will CJ! Harder, but not impossible. I think typing that story somehow helped me get past a roadblock.

I have so much to say and yet putting it into written form takes away the spontenaiety, ease and the inflection. I have found myself silenced and my head is swimming with words and expressions that want to explode out of my mouth.

Yes, yes! So much that ought to be said Linda. It it really a hard thing to deal with. Why does God let it happen? I don't know the answer, but I'm more sure of the fact that he provides His presence when it happens.

Roderick, so glad you are past your writer's roadblock. You've created another memorable story. I truly hope you keep writing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back