05/2011
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Jacksonville Beach
Well, I have a laptop on loan for 30 days to learn "Smart Nav"

It's a computer program that uses a camera on top of the monitor and a small dot on your forehead that allows you to type on an online keyboard and access all other things on the internet. It is easy and a lot of fun to use.

This will take the place of my arms and hands that are continuing to weaken. This is so amazing.
:D

Two recommendations for you, from a fellow SmartNav user.

1) Put the dots somewhere other than on your skin. If you wear eyeglasses, Put the dot on the eyeglasses frame right over the bridge of your nose. You can use one dot for weeks that way -- the replacement dot kits are way too overpriced to change dots daily.

2) If you plan to do a lot of typing -- email, writing books or poetry, posting on forums, etc. -- be sure that you have software that uses word prediction to reduce the effort of typing.

If using a computer is important to you, Smart Nav is one of the best investments you can make as a PALS. When you buy for yourself, be sure and use it with a Windows computer, though. Otherwise, you'll be shelling out an additional $30-400 to get the software required to run it on a Mac.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Magpuff that is wonderful!. Good to get to know how it works before you actually need to use it.

And you will beable to still be with us!.........:)

I'm curious how much head movement does it take to do everything you need to. I have been looking at that unit also. Any negatives?

The configuration software that comes with the SmartNav allows you to adjust the pointer movement so that moving the dot a very small distance can cover the entire screen. In my case, I have it set for a different speed for up and down than for left and right pointer movement. I would estimate that I can go from left edge to right edge of the screen in about a 2 inch movement of the dot on my glasses, while it takes 3-4 inches to go top to bottom on the screen.

Obviously, I could change that, but it suits my current physical condition and the way I am comfortable using the computer. There's a tradeoff between precision and reduced head movement, though. If you want minimal movement for screen coverage, then you have to have precision control within that small range of head movement. Otherwise, the pointer is flying around the screen with every tiny tremor.

I haven't found any real negatives with the SmartNav except that I could never get it to work on Windows login or with the User Access Controls in Vista, so I had to deactivate UAC and set up autologin for Windows -- both of which reduce security on the system. These are Windows issues that the SmartNav folks have documented clearly on their support website.

The only other potential negative that I've seen is having to be careful about lighting conditions in the camera's field of view. Anything that generates infrared light can capture the pointer if it gets in the camera's field of vision. This can be either direct or reflected light. Direct sources would be TV remote controls or incandescent light bulbs. One example of reflected light would be sunlight reflecting off a car window and coming in through a window to hit the camera. And yes, I've had experience with all three. :wink:

Thanks trfogey some great info, you must be very proficient with it, it would take me 45 min. to type what you just did by hand. Do use any other switches with it?

Thanks trfogey some great info, you must be very proficient with it, it would take me 45 min. to type what you just did by hand. Do use any other switches with it?

Yes, I am currently using a pair of foot pedal switches as the left and right mouse buttons with the SmartNav. They connect to to a USB interface that connects to my computer through a USB hub. The SmartNav comes with a Y-cable that allows you to attach up to two switches directly to the camera as well.

I already had these foot pedals from my adventures in using a foot controlled trackball to manuever the mouse pointer, but that's a different long story. :wink: Let's just say that I wish I had gone to the headmouse sooner than I did, but it was fun to be known around the board here as the guy who typed with his foot :lol:

That's rcharlton's title now. Just don't ask him what else he does with his foot. :lol:

Thank you for this post! My husband is getting the SmartNav! I will forward this link to him. It will brighten his day tomorrow!

This is what ive been thinking about recently as my typing gets more difficult, what will i do when my left hand is as bad as the right? now i know, thanks guys

If you have have a decent webcam on your computer, there is a Windows program called eViacam that uses face recognition technology to follow the movements of your head to move the mouse pointer around. There is also one called Camera Mouse that is produced by a professor at Boston College that allows you to use a webcam to track a feature on your face (like the tip of your nose) that you select to move the mouse pointer around.

Both eViacam and Camera Mouse are free to download and install and use if you want to see what using a headmouse is like. G o o g l e for the program names to find the homepages where you can download the software.

What do you think in comparison about the dynavox eyegaze system? I got mine for free, so price is not a problem.

trfogey...... thanks for all the good information. I will be looking into all of your suggestions.

I hope I can be as proficient as you are.

I'm not too smooth with this Smart Nav head mouse yet. I must look like "Bobble Head Maggie". Whatever. LOL

There is also a slider on the Control Panel: Movement page that will help smooth out the cursor movement. Even with it at maximum setting, it is still quite responsive.

Another thing to be aware of is the "Precision" mode. You can enable this mode using a hotkey, or configure one of the ability switches if you plug into the back. This comes in handy periodically when you have to do a precise mouse click like on a radio button on a webpage. Just get the mouse pointer close to the button, and then enable the precision mode. Then you will have very fine control of the mouse pointer.

It's been pointed out on other threads as well, but I will mention it again here. If your voice is still good, Dragon NaturallySpeaking I have found works very well in combination with a head mouse. Of course, how long that type of setup will last is dependent on how long the voice hangs around.

The only "negative" I would slightly mention is that it does require a smart nav Windows application to be running... otherwise it doesn't work. I think twice in the last 6 months I somehow managed to accidentally close down the program while I was using it. Oops!
Apparently there is a Mac flavor as mentioned previously, but if you're enough of a geek to want to run Linux or other OS, this won't work (at least not directly).

Note there is an AT and an EG version. The more expensive AT version just adds dwell clicking capability in its own software. I have personally found the free Point-N-Click software to be more flexible... so the EG version might suffice for some.

Hope this also helps...
Brian

I have a Dynavox computer, I put the dot on my glasses. I called Dynavox tech and now I can operate my TV that is great also my daughter set up my cell phone using bluetooth, on the second ring my bluetooth will automatically open for me to answer. I can also dial numbers your contacts list is on the computer. I have Medicare and Blue Cross Blue Shield and this computer cost me nothing. It also came with a stand bring it to the height I need it to be.

What do you think in comparison about the dynavox eyegaze system? I got mine for free, so price is not a problem.

Can't really compare the two, Sequoia. If you have no control of head movement, eyegaze or scanning-switch equipment is your only option. And price is a concern for most of us -- even if it's only an insurance or Medicare copay -- so waving off the incredible difference in price between the two types of technologies (several hundred dollars vs. several thousand dollars) just isn't useful and is a bit condescending. Not every PALS has access to a well-stocked ALSA loan closet or has a government entity that is willing to foot the entire bill for eyegaze technology.

What I've heard from PALS that I know is that the eyegaze systems can be very fussy to configure and keep in synchronization. That doesn't surprise me, given my own experience with the webcam-mouse types of software. I have yet to have that problem with my SmartNav.

Most of the eyegaze systems that I'm aware of come with simplified interface systems that make access to the underlying software easier. That's probably a good thing, but it may limit your flexibility in the types of applications you can use or may require an able-bodied person to do any setup and configuration required to enable the use of alternative applications. For instance, we had a poster here the other day asking how to change the browser in his ERICA unit from Internet Explorer to Firefox. I don't know how you would do that with ERICA. With my SmartNav, I just install Firefox and run it like I do all the other applications on my computer.

Beyond that, I don't have much else to say about eyegaze equipment other than to say that I'll probably go to it if my condition deteriorates to the point that it's my only option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back