Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
DE
State
Berlin
City
Berlin
Last year in december i was dignosed with ALS.
It was such a badly surprise. I Could not accept it. But i think i have some symptoms now. I am really scared about that.
I just got the best Man in the world and a good job. I do not know how to live with this diagnosis.

Thanks for reading, I hope some of will give me a good advice
Elli
P.s: sorry for bad english, its not my native language.

Elli the best thing you can do in my opinion (I was also diagnosed at the end of November beginning of December like you but I was 48 ) is to come to this forum often. Ask questions and talk about what is going on. The people here are kind, compassionate and full of knowledge. I am sorry you have to be here.

-peter

Last edited:
Elli, I can't imagine facing this at 27, and I can only speak as the wife of the other best man in the world who also has ALS. The only thing that I can offer is that there is no fighting this disease, so your choice is to work towards accepting and living as much as you can, or fighting it and being miserable for the rest of your life. I'm so sorry--this shouldn't happen to anyone, but now that it has try to squeeze as much joy out of each day as you can.

If you haven't yet, get a second opinion. it is a trick diagnosis.

>P.s: sorry for bad english, its not my native language.

much better than my German:)

Max - Friday, March 06, 2015 2:28:49 PM

ALS sucks, but It Is What It Is ... and someone else has it worse so I'll try not to complain today!
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013

Where I grew up, there were a couple of young people, just about your age,I think John was 29 and his wife pregnant when he was diagnosed. You have to live the best you can. You can do most anything you did before, you will just need to make accomodations. If it is really making life hard to cope with, get some help from a mental professional. It makes things much easier to cope with.

To all newly diagnosed...
Before you jump off the proverbial "bridge", remember that 15% of people diagnosed with ALS are going to be slow progression. Don't just assume you're in the 2-5 year category until you've been around long enough to see if you're going to be "normal" or "slow progression". Roughly one out of six of us is going to make it longer... and it might be you. And remember there are lots of people your age who don't have ALS who are not going to live 10 years. They will succumb to drunk drivers, cancer, heart disease and the rest of life's other pleasantries.

And for the really unfortunate young who drew the ALS card, this if from Leo McCluskey, an associate professor of neurology and medical director of the ALS Center at the University of Pennsylvania, "I have patients in my clinic who were diagnosed in their teens and are still alive in their 40s, 50s or 60s."
(Sorry, I know that is going to spur on the teenage DIHALSers.)

Remember: A diagnosis is not an immediate death sentence. Live the rest of your life to the fullest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back