Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
LA
City
Mandeville
I was diagnosed in June 2013. I have been able to keep up at work but as things progress I am struggling more. At what point should I notify my employer of my diagnosis?

Hi Kthames, I think this is a complicated question and the answer depends on a number of factors. Are you in a union? If so, seeking advice from a union lawyer who knows your state statutes and employer's history with other workers is important. It is important to let your employer know about a disability before your performance is affected and judged in an evaluation. However, before you meet with anyone in Personnel, it is also important that you have thought out what specific accommodations you will require (working flextime, reduced responsibilities, rest break during the day, working from home, etc). Your employer will have to make accommodations for you. But do get advice before telling, as all employers will not deal fairly with people who have disabilities. If you don't have a union, it might be worth seeing an employment lawyer for a one-hour consultation about the best way to do it based on your state laws and the specifics of your employment contract. Good luck!

What do you call the first employee to go to the union?

A former employee.

That's only partly a joke. Seriously. You might want to consider if you have a fall back position in case your employer is not supportive.

I think it all depends on the type of job you do and the work place it's self. I bet people have noticed if you are struggling already. better to talk to your supervisor than be labeled a drunk or druggie or just lazy. It would be better to speak up now, before they jump to conclusions. Things are not going to get any easier for you, sorry to say.

also, if your work is physical or other's safety depends on what you do--speak up right away.

Have a plan when you go in--whether you want to continue to work full time, work part time, work from home, or plan on retiring. tell them what you CAN do and what you can not do. I would bet most people will be understanding and make accommodations.

Don't forget that with a doctors excuse you can. Also go out on short term and then long term disability, if offered. By your company while you get things squared away with ssdi

We discovered the hard way about something when it came to Long Term Disability. We didn't know there was dependant disability provided through SS, but apparently his ex-wife did. Since we didn't know about it we did not claim that it was being paid out. That amount was to be subtracted from his Long Term disability as well as his DSS, so after a year they asked if his son was receiving it. We contacted his ex to find out that he has been receiving it from the very beginning. We now owe nearly $6,000 to his LTD and of course he is not longer receiving anything from it. So basically the only one that benefited from his LTD was his son and ex-wife. Considering the age of most PALS that probably isn't a problem for most but I have noticed that there are a few with children, and of course it is only a problem if you don't have custody.

Paulette

I agree with Barbie, if you're struggling you should go ahead, but do consult an employment lawyer first if possible. ALS is a complicated beast, and everyone progresses differently. According to ADA, your employer has to make reasonable accommodations. Also, according to FMLA, you get time for doctor's appointments. You should have accommodations in mind, such as handicapped doors, seating so you don't have to walk as far, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back