Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
wv.
City
renick
Well after 10 months. ( 6 va paper work / 4 actual labor )
My addition SAH bathroom / bedroom is complete and I take my first shower in new bathroom today.
A long haul and just in time as my old bath/ bed rooms are losing their effectiveness and becoming dangerous for me.
My contractor has been patience with the va and professional through the process. I do believe if he wasn't a good friend any other contractor would have said goodbye early on.
I am grateful for good friends and family who have once again help me out. I am especially thankful to the taxpayers of this country and the help I get from the VA. Love ya all chally

Great to hear that, Chally. Enjoy the shower. We're nearing the last stages of the paperwork/preliminaries for a SAH grant and hope to have approval and see something get started soon. I'm hoping the contractor, who is not a friend, doesn't get put off at the last minute. Hoping my progression doesn't overtake the process.

Ed

congrats, Chally. have been approved and just started the process with the contractor. my contractor has worked with the va so my fingers are crossed. were architects involved or did the contractor draw up the plans himself?/frank

Chally, I'm so happy for you! Enjoy that shower!!!

They have to have an architect. Then official plans are signed by vet, contractor,architect, and va

Congratulations Chally! Having a safe, accessible bedroom and shower makes all the difference in the world!

We used a Certified Building Contractor (licensed & bonded) for our SAH grant. We were also able to apply the unused balance of the grant money towards the principal on our mortgage.

We too are very thankful to the VA and taxpayers.

vw

Good news Chally! Tom really benefits from the big shower. He has a nifty tricked out shower chair, with wheels that recline, that fits so well in there. Between the shower chair and multiple grab bars he spins himself around like he's wheelchair dancing. He uses the grab bars to turn himself around. I have step out so he doesn't run over my feet:) I feel like I should put some music on for him.

The contractor we used got fed up with the VA process but once they start the work it's almost impossible to walk away from it because they won't get paid. It's a terrible process for contractors because they have to start the project without any funding for supplies and subcontractors. It took us almost two years from beginning to end.

We, too, are grateful for this benefit, thankful to the VA and the taxpayers. I am also grateful to all of you for having served!

Yes frank ya need an architect, for me he too was a friend though not completely pro bono but some.
The way prices are ya have to figure out how to budget cause as with all building projects they tend to cost twice as much as thought and take twice as long as expected.
Good luck Ed hang in there and git r dun!

So I'm not American, but I reckon all those taxpayers are grateful to vets...I know I am.

You sing in that shower Chally, I'm so glad you are loving it.

Best thing we did making the house suitable for steve and the family. The shower and bathroom let him have independence and help from me for much longer than if we hadnt dont the mod.

So how is the shower Chally? I'm slowly catching up on the past week and so happy that you have this project done!!

GREAT Tillie, making things easier. Love ya chally

That is wonderful, Chally. So glad you enjoy it and it makes things easier. Steph

So happy for you Chally and hope you enjoy wonderful long showers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back