Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
Arkansas
City
Bella Vista
I recently watched a piece on a walking assistive device on both ABC & CBS called WalkAide. Has anyone heard of it or asked their neurologist about it? The device seems to help MS patients a great deal with their foot drop. They have a website if you just google WalkAide.
I was diagnosed with PLS in 2007. I walk exclusively with a cane now and often have to resort to my wheelchair. I'm just curious if this would be beneficial. I'm going to ask my doctor about it next month but wanted to see if anyone else has heard about it.

just curious, did you ever speak with your doctor about this device or did you ever try it? It seems since PLS is upper motor neuron related only, that the device might work.

Yes, I spoke to my neuro about it and she said that it's not good for people with PLS. Her reasoning is that it's more suitable for people with strokes, etc.. since their brains can learn to readjust for their impairment. The WalkAide is a tool that is temporary to help those patients with strokes, back injuries learn to walk again. She thought it would be a waste of effort and possibly dangerous for people with ALS or PLS.
Oh well. I'm just always looking for ways to be mobile.

my husband is going for a free trial of the walkaide in a couple of weeks. The trial only takes an hour so we're going to check it out. We think it's worth a try. I wonder why your neurologist said it could be dangerous? My husband's neurologist doesn't think it will work either but didn't caution us about any danger with it.

I tried it! It did not work=(

Thanks for you information i newly join and your post help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back