Diagnosis
03/2012
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Belleville
Hello fellow PLSers! Ive been having a problem opening my eyes. It feels like they're glued shut and sometimes I use my fingers to pry them open. This has been happening several times per day lately.

It can happen anytime, but it happens a lot in bed and always when I'm showering. Just wondering if anyone else experiences this a what to do about it.

Thanks, TB

Last edited:
I had a problem with double vision a few years back. I went to an eye neuro thinking it was due to PLS. Both my eye neuro and PLS neuro agreed that PLS should not affect eyes. I didn't specifically ask about eye lids. This is the first time I heard of this.

I have had what I believe you are describing? The eyelids stuck not because of weakness but because the inside of the eyelids seem to stick to the eyeball. In my case this was a case of dry eye. I had it before ALS and it seems to have resolved. There are a number of causes, environment, medication lfestyle ( a lot of computer use is one because you blink less) and sometimes it just happens

Last edited:
Nikki, "inner eyelids"? I didn't know we had those...seriously! But now that you mention it, that's actually what it feels like!

I meant the inside of the eyelids. They have an outside that you see easily and an inside that you can see if you fold it back over a qtip or something. Sorry I was unclear. I edited it so no one else would be confused by my poor wording

Last edited:
Nikki, thanks for clarifying.... I was starting to feel like a gecko! Lol

TB that's not fun. I hope it resolves for you.
I have trouble opening my eyes...but only when it's time to get out of bed!
God bless, Janelle x

I had that problem several years ago and traced it online to something called progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP). This was long before I received the diagnosis of PLS - I had no diagnosis and the full description pf PSP led me to believe that was what I HAD.

Well, I made the mistake of telling my neurologist at the time, and she had written several well respected (so she claimed) articles on PSP and that was certainly NOT what was wrong with me.

Well, after several months, the symptom stopped and it has not come back.

'Not much help, but at the time I found those 0ccurrances very scary. If that's true for you - I hope this helps a little.

Anne

Yes, it's a bit scary. And it is very embarrassing when one of my eyes sticks shut while talking to someone (face to face). How do I explain THAT?

I've notice a little more "sleep" accumulating on my right eyelashes and my right eyelid is drooping more.

I have my ALS Clinic visit next month and I'll certainly bring it up.

Thanks for all the input! More is welcomed.... TB

That sounds different than what I had. Are your eyes closing involuntarily then?

No Nikki, they get stuck from simply blinking. Worse while showering.

Maybe check with your eye doctor? There are prescription drops for extreme dry eye if that turned out to be the issue

I'm ALS, but this has been happening to my right eye TB. Exactly as you describe. When blinking, the right eye is delayed in opening. I figured it takes muscles to open and close your eyes and therefore they must be weakening.

Vince

Hey Vince...ALS or PLS, very very similar indeed regarding symptoms and treatment. Have you seen any medical professionals regarding this eye issue? I'm going to Clinic Sept 16 and will address it with them. I'll try to figure out how to contact you if they come up with a cause and/or a solution.

Glad to hear about someone else having this issue (well not glad, but you know what I mean). Thanks for your input! TB

Vince, my right eye is the same. Left eye is fine.
I did see a neuro ophthalmologist a while back and spoke to her about the issue- she could find no structural reason for it and sort of shrugged and told me to let her know if it got worse. I'd be interested to know what other peoples' doctors say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back