Diagnosis
03/2012
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Belleville
Hi all... Happy Holidays! I have had extremely swollen feet for the last couple weeks. The tops of my feet almost look balloon-like along with my ankles. Also feet feel rather cold. I fell a few weeks ago and cut the top of my left foot. It is not healing fast like I normally do.

I assume raising your feet above the heart would help, but I always sleep on my sides and can't seem to be able to do it.

I'm new to this site and assume this topic has need discussed before, but I only have a crappy little Android tablet and I can't figure out how to search previous topics? Any advice (regarding the feet) w
ould be appreciated.

Thanks, Tractor

Tractor,
Can't help with the foot swelling but I have the same issue with failing to be able to search on my android nexus tab.

sorry you have to be here but welcome. i had the same with my feet. my wheelchair will let me kick back enough to get my feet up. i can't sleep in it to long but it dose help. in time it sounds like you are going have to be in one your self. that's of you haven't already. you can see why you don't what to fall or anything. we don't heal the same any more.

For the swelling: support hose.

For the cold: plz let me kno when you figure this one out!

Compression socks will get your swelling under control. If you have the arm strength to put them on, if not your caregiver should be able to. Even wearing them for a half day will probably do the trick.

Sounds like compression socks or support hose is the recommendations so far. Can anyone recommend which brand to buy and where to get them?

Thanks, Tractor

Now a days I have been seeing the zippered type of compression sock on t v. I am wondering if they could be found at a local store here. I know of one that has been selling the items that are supposed to be t v only, I just haven't looked for them yet.

As for cold feet, if socks and slippers don't help and it really bothers you that they are cold, then soaking in hot (as you can tolerate) water might provide relief. As well as the hand warmers packets ( found in hunting and camping isles of stores) in your socks.

Sounds like compression socks or support hose is the recommendations so far. Can anyone recommend which brand to buy and where to get them?

Thanks, Tractor

Try to run this by your doc. There are varios amounts of compressions, try to get your doc to write you a prescription for them, and your ins will probably kick in.
Any medical supply store should have them, and might be able to suggest a compression level for your swelling. Brand or color does not mater. When I had this issue, my doc scripted knee high socks for me. I noticed a difference right away, healing of wounds or sores is almost impossible in a swollen leg or foot. When I had this issue a few years ago the cost was about 50 bucks a pair...now they are prolly higher in price.

Compression stockings are only one of the changes you need to make to keep the swelling under control. In the early days of my feet swelling, they were huge, painful, and a scary purple. The doctors were of no help, offering only a diuretic to mask the problem -- and contribute to dehydration. Look here for the necessary steps I found to get swelling to least possible considering any permanent damage done already. Swollen Feet

Tractor,

Are you diabetic? If you have a wound that is not healing, you should see your family doctor.

In any case, you should see your doc ASAP for the swelling! Get both checked!

Mike

Mike, I am not diabetic. Going to try the compression socks route.

However, my neurologist doesn't seem to be up on the physical implications of my PLS disorder other than prescribing Baclofen. Does anyone else experience this?

Thanks, Tractor

TB...your neurologist should at least be pointing you in some direction if he can't accommodate your concerns. Perhaps your could PCP could help you get this issue resolved, and might be more willing to help you out on this. The swelling could have many reasons....circulation, water retention etc. I think the compression socks would at least control the symptoms...but you should try to find a cause.
I don't think MND's in general have swollen feet as a common symptom.
By the way welcome to our dysfunctional family:):):):)

Thanks for the welcome Mark,

We should consider each other disfunctional brother-in-laws now. Lol

TB

I'm having the same issue...but ironically wasn't having the problem till my last fall in March, after which I haven't been able to walk since. My Neuro told me it's something that happens from being in a chair & sitting all the time. He did give me a low dose fluid pill & we wrap it all the time...think I will look into compression socks like everyone is saying.

Kfletcher,

I did a little research on compression socks. The biggest complaint I see is getting the right size and difficulty putting them on. I placed 2 orders through Amazon for Truform socks; one set is size Med with open toes and the other set size Large with closed toes. My shoe size is 10. Will update next week when they come.

Good luck! Tractor Boy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back