Learn about ALS
Country
AUS
State
Queensland
City
Brisbane
Hi all

I've got a problem and I'm hoping someone might have some wise words for me. The muscle spasms along the left hand side of my torso are going into absolute overdrive. My biggest problem (apart from the pain) is that my breathing is impacted. I keep trying to tell myself that there's nothing wrong with my actual breathing capacity, it's just that it hurts too much and so I'm only taking shallow puffs. But I don't really know ...

All I know is that unless I'm sitting reclined on the bed and packed in pillows, I'm going crazy.

It was my Mother's birthday today and my sister hosted a lunch. I couldn't sit in a chair. It didn't give me enough support. This is a very new problem for me. The spasms feel exactly like those in my left leg and right arm.

Any thoughts would be very welcome.

Thanks

Lilly

If you think your not getting enough oxygen, go to the hospital or a clinic. If the problem is spasticity and cramping, take bacl ofen if you have it, or a val ium if you have it and see if that relaxes it. Either way you should see a doc ASAP if you cannot get it under control. I am not a doctor so please call one to get correct advice.

Thankyou AKmom. You are a wise woman! I took valium and it is sooo much better. I also took my night time dose of neurontin earlier than usual. It is 8pm on Sunday here and I'm in bed packed in pillows and feeling better.

I'm pretty sure it is the spasms that are causing the breathing issues, but next time it is as bad I might take myself off to emergency as it is a bit scary. It feels like my ribs are going to snap!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

And my monthly rant here. If you have breathing issues with sudden issues with breathing--anyone--ALS or not--should be checked immediately.

Shortness of breath can have too many causes and some are quite serious. Hours can make a difference.

I'm not saying every case of breathing problems are serious--sometimes it is simply hyper-ventilation or a pulled muscle--but why risk it?

Thank you notme. You are right. Breathing is pretty important after all. If I find myself in this position again (unfortunately I think I will as this problem seems to be becoming more frequent) I'll take myself off to the doctor.

I hope you are having an OK day.

Just a quick update. I have now had a chat with my doctor about this. It seems if the spasming gets too bad it 'locks' (my description, not hers) my ribs and they therefore unable to expand as they should. Of course if my ribs can't expand, I can't get the breathe in and out. Luckily it is only on the left side.

Anyway the plan is to have my torso supported most of the time, and take a painkiller and then valium if I am likely to be in a position for any length of time where I have to support my own torso. I went out to lunch with a friend yesterday; took a pillow with me and took the drugs and it all worked perfectly!

She reiterated the advice I've had here that I need medical attention next time it happens - just in case. She said things can get much worse very quickly.

Thanks again to everybody for their help. I'm now happy to wait til August 3 for my neuro appt.

Lilly

Hi - a quick update now I've seen my GP. She says I let the spasming get so bad (no torso support, no drugs) that it 'locks' my ribs in to a fixed position, thus limiting my capacity to get breathe in or out. And I guess she's right; it makes perfect sense to me now. I'm notoriously drug phobic and stubborn (I sometimes like to think ofit as tough, others might say stupid!).

Anyway, we came up with a plan - support my torso, and take painkillers and valium BEFORE I need to put myself in a position like I did at my mother's birthday lunch. Went to lunch with a friend yesterday (nearly cancelled), took a pillow for support, took the drugs and all went well - a bit sore and weak, but I could breathe.

The doctor reiterated (very sensible) advice given here - get medical help if it happens again as things, as things can go very wrong very quickly. Thank you so much.

Lilly

PS apologies if there end up two posts - I seem to have lost my last one.

Woops! Sorry two posts. I'm still learning.

Sounds good wellington!

Glad you found a solution. My daughter gets horrid spasms in her side that make it too painful for her to take a breath--we can relate around our house. Hers is caused by Myofascial issues--but the ending result of horrid pain and shortness of breath are the same.

But--I had similar symptoms and mine was being caused by a blood clot--which is why I always caution to be safe rather than sorry.

Pleurisy can also start as a sharp pain (mine always under shoulder blade) that makes breathing not only painful, but nearly impossible it hurts so bad.

Glad you're doing better!

Thanks notme. It sounds like you DO know what I'm talking about. It sure can be scary. Luckily with the few tricks suggested by the doctor I might have it under control. Fingers crossed! Every time I think I have the measure of whatever this is, something new happens!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back