Diagnosis
11/2007
Country
uk
State
uk
City
uk
after a long absense the dreaded facial spasms have started to return the past few weeks.
always the right side from cheek down,hense hemifacial.
thankfully they are not as severe as they get were they pull my mouth to one side.
so,i think i am going to have to bite the bullet and get checked out,maybe more tests and get the swallowing issues sorted at the same time.
i hate all the hospital/test stuff but i dont want to endure the torture of the spasms if they do get severe again........been taking extra baclofen to try and fend them off.
i can definatly feel a constant tightness in the lower facial muscles on my right side,every so ofton a twitching spasm.

i dont think other pls'ers have mentioned if they get these,maybe many are not at the bulbar stage yet.
i was trying to find a connection between the spasms and pls/umn's ...........i did find it plus some other intresting stuff ......video.
i read alot on hemifacial spasms in the past and articles kept saying it starts with the eyes,never had twitching/spasm problems around the eye area.
in the below info/video i found out that the umn's only directly effect the face from the cheek down..........a umn lesion would only effect the cheek down..........would you believe it.

video1.......gives a simple easy to understand explanation of the umn pathway.
video 2........this explain umn lesions as well as lmn lesions involving the facial muscles.....and i think may explain the hemifacial spasms i have.

http://wn.com/upper_motor_neurones

sorry mistake,not video 2 but video 8.

Can't watch as I'm at work and posting on the sly. Thanks for posting!

Olly,

Glad you posted this! Going to send email to my blood sister. She suffers from this....hmmm maybe that's where the gene flaw comes into play. Athen a group did a gene marker and lucky me; mine was the only one they had seen like this! Maybe she should have the test, also. Only costs $2600.00 and NOT covered by my Blue Cross/Blue Shield of course.

Living with no heart,

Kimberly

Olly=--do you have trigeminal neuralgia? Those symptoms sound a LOT like what my face does when my TN acts up---and very painful--

When the trigeminal nerve gets going--it can cause all sorts of spasms in my experience.

I hope they get you sorted out--I can relate to the not wanting to do the doctor thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back