Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
OK
City
Cleveland
What is the best supplement that you can put down the tube daily to prevent constipation?

Magnesium can be a good one if your PAL is not already taking it. You can get a liquid version of it. I have found it to be super effective- as in, so effective I had to cut back on it a little bit. Start low and work your way up.

What dose would you suggest to start with?

I think it depends on the brand you get. Magnesium Citrate is what you want. Magnesium also gives the added benefit of reducing cramps and muscle tension.

I would start with the lowest dose the label recommends and give it a day before increasing the dose if it doesn't work as well as you hoped. To my great embarrassment, I only waited 4 hours and was punished appropriately.

We used movicol either one or two sachets daily - Chris would know how much he felt he needed.

LOTS of water is one of the most important things. Increasing fibre is often done without realising you need to increase water or the fibre just clogs up anyway.

I do something in my Vitamix that I bet you can do with a tube. I puree frozen berries, thin with water, then add 1,200 mg magnesium. You should start out with 400 mg and work up to what you need. I need more because I take several meds that cause constipation and the magnesium helps with cramps and my heart arrhythmia. I've been taking magnesium for 30 years. Just start low and work up.

Liquid Docusate is available without a prescription. Your pharmacy may not keep it in stock but will order it for you. It is not a laxative that forces a bowel movement so won't work if you need fast relief. It is a stool softener that prevents constipation by preventing the stool from drying out and hardening in your large intestine. I have had really good results with a daily dose -- no loose or liquid bowel movements, no unforwarned accidents, and no exhausting times sitting on the throne trying to go. It does take a few weeks to decide what amount you need to take for the most reliable results.

I take 1-2 Senna-S with my breakfast and before bed. At mid-day, I take Miralax with juice. The Senna are crushed and fed through my tube with formula. I modify depending on how my body is "reacting" that day. I prefer pudding over turtles.

Bill

I made smoothies for steve similar to kims formula. Prune juice down the tube helps. You can also use digestive enzymes to help break everything down so it can pass uneventfully.

I take all my vitamins and Meds by tube and I take magnesium call Calm. My wife mixes it with all my other Meds twice a day and every thing works fine .
Al

does anyone know if magnesium citrate tabs can be chewed? What they taste like? I chew magnesium oxide tabs with a little applesauce and its fine. I tried the citrate chewables and they are a challenge to get down with swallowing issues. Is 200mg daily an effective dose?

Deb

I can still eat soft foods by mouth but supplement with one tube feeding a day. Liquid Hope works like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back