Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
US
State
Colorado
City
Colorado Springs
So went in mid January to get my PEG put in, only to wake up in recovery with no tube in me. I was like "Didn't you guys forget something?" They were not able to find a good sight using the PEG procedure with scope down to the stomach. So last Thursday went back in and had a tube installed by the radiology department. You can lookup RIG feeding tubes for more information. Basically they use x-ray and ultrasound to take pictures to help them guide the tube placement. I don't think they needed to use any barium for me though. Turns out the combination of long rib cage and stomach high in my abdomen foilled the PEG for me.

Just figured I'd share that there are alternate methods if the actual PEG procedure doesn't work for someone.

So yet again I fell into that small minority. And can't say I've been pegged... but I've been rigged! :p

Whether it's PEG or RIG the end result is the same kind of feeding tube through the abdomen into the stomach. It's only the procedure that differs.

Glad everything worked out for you in the end but too bad it took two tries!

-Tom

I'm glad it ended up working out for you. That would be weird to wake up and find out nothing was done. I hope you're not having much pain. Welcome to the club, you nonconformist you!

I have a RIG tube too. Mass General clinic prefers it to PEG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back