Diagnosis
10/2008
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Alexandria
OMG ... would you believe that he is 67 ? Get well soon Professor.

"http://us.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/04/20/hawking.health/index.html"

Scientist and author Stephen Hawking is "very ill" and has been hospitalized, according to Cambridge University, where he is a professor.

Cambridge University said the 67-year-old is "comfortable" and will stay overnight at Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge.

Hawking, one of the world's most famous physicists, is also a cosmologist, astronomer, and mathematician.

I went through a famous wax museum in London that had a very good likeness of the good professor in a wheelchair. I believe it was even an animated figure that spoke (computer voice), if memory serves me right.

Anyway, its comical that the article said he was very ill. He has been very ill for over forty years with ALS. Or so I thought...

Well, God bless the good professor with a speedy recovery (from whatever he may have that he can recover from).

Zaphoon

Stephen Hawking 'very ill' with family at his bedside

from the Daily Mail, UK

Professor Stephen Hawking was 'very ill' last night after suffering a serious respiratory infection.

The world-renowned scientist and writer, who is paralysed with motor neurone disease, was taken to hospital by ambulance for 'urgent tests' after his condition worsened.

Doctors said the 67-year-old author of the world's most popular science book, A Brief History of Time, was due to spend the night in hospital.

At his side were his daughter Lucy, 38, and his first wife Jane, 65, who is now married to choirmaster Jonathan Hellyer Jones.

He said: 'It is a very distressing time. We are waiting for news and we only learnt that something was wrong this morning.'

Professor Hawking was diagnosed at 21 with the muscle-wasting disease, which has gradually robbed him of his voice and movement in his limbs.

He speaks through a distinctive voice synthesiser and uses a motorised wheelchair.

The scientist was told he could expect to live for two years but has defied the prediction to become Britain's oldest-known survivor of motor neurone disease.

Professor Hawking returned from a work trip to America on Saturday after ill-health forced him to cancel appearances.

He was taken to Addenbrooke's hospital, Cambridge, yesterday lunchtime for tests which a close colleague said were 'far more serious than routine'.

A spokesman for Cambridge University, where he is Lucasian Professor of Mathematics, said Professor Hawking had been unwell for a couple of weeks.

'He is very ill,' said the spokesman. 'He had a respiratory infection in the States and had to cancel appearances.

'We are all very concerned for his health, as are his family, immediate colleagues and students.'

Professor Hawking, who also has two sons Tim, 30, and Robert, 42, and a grandchild, is due to retire from his post in October but planned to continue to work at the university.

One of his last public appearances was last September, when he unveiled a £1million clock at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge.

Professor Peter Haynes said: 'He is a remarkable colleague. We all hope he will be among us again soon.'

Professor Hawking's complicated family life has also attracted attention. In 1990, on his silver wedding anniversary, he left his wife Jane to move in with Elaine Mason, a nurse who had cared for him. They were married in 1995.

The bitter split astonished colleagues and friends, and his new wife was later accused by his family of bullying him.

In 2000, detectives launched an inquiry after Professor Hawking made a number of visits to Addenbrooke's suffering cuts and bruises. Another inquiry was opened in 2003.

Professor Hawking denied that his second wife was to blame. The couple divorced three years ago.

In 1988 A Brief History of Time, which sold more than nine million copies and made him a household name, was published.

His fame led to guest roles in The Simpsons, Red Dwarf and Star Trek: The Next Generation.

One of his greatest achievements was the discovery of 'Hawking radiation' - the way a black hole leaks energy and fades to nothing.

i did get my daily mail today and read that.
he is very unique as they said on the news,46yrs with als and untill now he can still breathe on his own.
he only lost his voice because an opp went wrong,can not recall what it was for.
i watched a documentary about him and they said he has always been a workaholic,even with als he would ofton leave his students lagging well into the night.
he has a wicked sense of humour also.
i really hope he pulls through and will be praying for him.

can you believe his ex-wife left him in the garden on the warmest day of summer and he suffered sunstroke!

it makes me think more fondly of all the loving spouses of PALS.

Can I ask, what is the special nature of Stephen's ALS?
Why did it stabilize, and are there many other people who have a similar condition?

I don't think it did stabilize. He is at the far end of the rate-of-progression spectrum.

Hawking has a neuromuscular dystrophy that is related to amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), a condition that has progressed over the years and has left him almost completely paralysed.
Copied from Wikkipedia

so he doesn't have ALS?

i thought many PALS could live for years on a vent and that sometimes the disease just "burns out"-- or does all the damage it can do and then stops.

The first neuro my husband went to claims Hawking doesn't have ALS. He didn't offer a suggestion as to what it is he exactly has. We didn't care at the time, as we were too worried being just told hubby has ALS.

You'd think if he had ALS they would say it. So looks like he has something else.

Hi,

Two weeks before he died, I met a man who had ALS for over 30 years. He was the superintendent of a large school district and was first DX in his late 20's as he was finishing his Ph.D. I knew something was wrong when I met him, as his fingers were somewhat curled, when we shook hands. Tragically he and his wife were killed in a car accident in Florida during spring break. His progression was oviously very very slow. Take Good Care, Peg

http://www.answers.com/topic/stephen-hawking

here are some biographies on stephen hawkins for those who are intrested.
though he may have a slower unusual form he is diognosed with als/mnd and he is an active advocate for the alsa here in the uk.
i admire him greatly and has given much needed hope to other pals that life does not have to end at diagnosed.
good news is he is expected to recover from this latest set back.:grin:

That's good news, Caroline! Thanks for keeping us updated. He is a remarkable man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back