Diagnosis
03/2006
Country
uk
State
West Sussex
City
sussex
Hi there, really need some ideas for dad to cope with this sticky glue like substance. Mnd nurse is going to try a drug in his nebuliser but doesnt think it will help a great deal. Also she said suction was out as its too far down and by putting suction further down it will cause his larynx to spasm... Any ideas guys... P.S Thanks for all your help and support so far...

Is he still able to drink? Some members have had good luck with Coca Cola breaking up secretions.

AL.

Yes he's still drinking ( not enough mind ) but yes anything is worth a try,will suggest this now, Thank you once again, really didnt expect such fantastic support and so quickly, this site is sooo helpful. :D. will let you know if successful.

Hi ... I have the same problem, and it drives you up the wall. I wear a Scopoline (sp?) patch behind my ear, which cuts down the amount of saliva, but doesn't thin it out. In fact, some medical type told me that it may contribute to the problem, because sometimes thick saliva may be caused by dehydration.

One solution I have heard many times is the use of meat tenderizer on a swab or a Q-tip. Seriously ... meat tenderizer is an enzyme (natural stuff, I think it's from pineapples). My problem is that I can't find it in the stores anywhere. I've been told this by doctors and therapists.

I used to use Musinex to thin the secretions, but I can't swallow the pills any more. This seemed to help thin things out. There is a liquid form for children that I am going to try in my tube. It's vile tasting, but my tube doesn't care.

Part of my problem (don't know if it applies to your dad) is that when I eat thick things by mouth (yogurt to take pills), they do not stay swallowed. They keep sliding back into my mouth and mixing with the saliva making a VERY unpleasant glue-like gunk as you describe.

I also swab my mouth out with paper towels. With me, if I can get it stopped, it will stay stopped for a while. My thick saliva comes from only one part of my mouth ... the left side toward the throat. I have heard that some people get Botox injections to "turn off" particular saliva glands, but I've also read some PALS accounts that it did not work too well.

Good luck. I hope you find a solution for your dad. It seems that with all the powerful things going on in our bodies with ALS, something like saliva should be the least of our worries, but in fact it really affects quality of life.

The only thing that works for me is drinking a lot of water, at least 3 liters per day. This keeps the secretions loose and easy to deal with otherwise they are thick and hard to manage.

Good suggestion as always, Joel. The only caution is that if someone has heart disease, they may have to limit their fluids to avoid congestive heart failure. But if your ticker's OK, that's certainly worth trying. I'm limited to a liter of fluid a day, and that isn't enough to conquer the problem, alas.

Good point Beth, I have never heard that before but then I have never had a problem with my heart. When I first was diagnosed and my doctor had me convinced that I did not want to live long enough to need a PEG or trache and vent I was actually hoping for a heart problem as this would be a better way to die. I have since, obviously, changed my mind and have all of the above and am living a wonderful life. Doctors don't know everything! LOL

Thick Mucous

I, too, have the thick mucous problem. I try to drink a lot of liquids and I read on one of the forums that the Listermint Breath Strips help. I've tried them and they do help. I use four or five every day and one just before bed and it helps break up the mucous. I prefer the cinnamon flavored ones.
Good Luck,
Gordon

Hi Beth, the meat tenderizer tip is one that I've heard too. I haven't tried it but I have tried papaya juice (which contains the same enzymes) and it worked somewhat. I haven't had too much problem with the thick, sticky saliva since I had the radiation treatment to my saliva glands but I certainly know what you mean. It's especially bad when you can't drink liquids very well.

Barry

Hi Barry,
We believe it is time for our mother to have the radiation treatment to her saliva glands - can you giv eme more information about that so I know what to ask or know before our next clinic visit.

Hi , I find my saliva is stringy most of the time and frothy some of the time , but also just drips out onto my clothes or the floor because I can't control my lips any more . I get copious amounts even wearing a patch and using Atropine sublingual drops . I have as much water through my tube as I can tolerate . xx

Hi topsfan, sorry about your mother's saliva problems. It has now been almost 1 year since my radiation treatment and while I have no way of knowing how bad my drooling would be now if I hadn't had it I do know that the treatment reduced my drooling compared to before. My neurologist, who suggested it to me, said that it was as far as he knew only offered at our local cancer hospital. Apparently it has been used on children with cerebral palsy to reduce drooling. What it involves is 10 days of radiation therapy to the parotid salivary glands. When I had it done I visited the radiation oncologist who explained it to me and then I went back to have my face mapped. Once they had measured and mapped my face each day's treatment involved laying on my back on a table and having the radiation machine zap each of my cheeks for about 1 minute. Each appointment took about 15 to 30 minutes in total. There was some pain especially after the first few treatments but nothing that a tylenol wouldn't take care of. The full effect of the treatment took about a month.

Even with the treatment I still have problems with thick, gooey saliva especially after eating and don't have much advice to give there. I have tried crushed papaya pills that I put on my toothbrush with some water and that works somewhat. I also use a mouthwash called Biotene which I also put on my toothbrush because I can't put any liquids in my mouth. The best thing that I have found is to have a running tap so that I can rinse my mouth out with gallons of water. I am now tied to my tap and sink, if I go out I try not to eat anything because unless I can rinse very well it is hell with gooey mouth.

I hope this helps, if you can get the radiation treatment for your mom I would recommend it even though it isn't a total solution.

Barry

Thank you Barry, the information is very helpful. We're not certain if at this point we'd be better off with the radiation or to get her one of those hand held suction devices (not sure of the tech term). Mom is 71 with bulbar, not doing a PEG or vent and condition is getting pretty bad these days.
I do appreciate the advice and all I learn here on the forums. You all are the best.
Thanks again, Mary

I do not know if crushing the Mucinex and feeding it in applesauce would work getting it down. It's a different texture than yogurt.

Mary, I don't think that the radiation treatment would really be a help with the thick gooey mucus, it reduced the amount of my saliva but I still use my suction and lots of water. Does she have a suction device now? I have a hand operated one that I haven't used but my electric one really helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back