Diagnosis
08/2007
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Chicago area
My husband (DX 8/07) and I went to clinic this last Thursday. He has had a weakened cough for months now (which the Dr. acknowledged) and has been short of breath with any exertion for the past few months. If he walks up the stairs, he is out of breath. He can't walk and talk at the same time, etc.

His FVC in May was 84 and I was certain that it would be lower at this clinic visit. It was at 100%! Great news, but confusing. How can it be better when he is so much more SOB? Can that much shortness of breath be caused by fatigue only? What about the weak cough? I just don't know what to make of this.

On a side note, the Dr. told us that although the textbooks say differently, she finds that about half of her patients end up having urinary incontinence! :(

My husband (DX 8/07) and I went to clinic this last Thursday. He has had a weakened cough for months now (which the Dr. acknowledged) and has been short of breath with any exertion for the past few months. If he walks up the stairs, he is out of breath. He can't walk and talk at the same time, etc. His FVC in May was 84 and I was certain that it would be lower at this clinic visit. It was at 100%! Great news, but confusing. How can it be better when he is so much more SOB? Can that much shortness of breath be caused by fatigue only?

This may be way out in left field, but if your husband has shortness of breath with exertion, and his lung function is OK, it could be related to his heart. I would suggest you make an appointment with your primary care physician, and ask if a visit to a cardiologist is warranted. It could be a problem in addition to ALS that medication can address very successfully.

Good luck!
BethU

Hi Linda- Beth has a good point. I'd also want to see copies of the first test and this latest one. I wonder if there was some sort fo mix-up? (Hope not!) Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back