Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Arkansas
City
Centerton
Hi,
I am confused on how to read the numbers my mom recently received from the pulmonologist. I thought maybe someone else could help me to understand what the levels mean.
Her latest tests show that her vital lung capacity has dropped from 1700ml to 750 ml since her last visit. It seems to be a drastic decline from her visit 6-8 weeks prior. The doctor did order the bi-pap (which she has not adjusted to well), but any info on how this affects her situation would help.

nwafriend

As I understand it from my respiratory therapist ALS patients are expected to lose about 3% of ther lung capacity per month. In our regular breathing we normally (especially when we are asleep) breathe short breaths don't typically don't really exrercise the lung muscles. The BiPap makes us breathe deeper thus making the lungs expand more giving the muscles more excercise and hopefully building capacity.
Since I've been on the BiPap and doing lung excercises my lung capacity has grown 13%, so I'm a believer in the BiPap.
Gordon

3% a month! That sounds awful. No wonder I've been feeling progressively worse. :cry: I am a fan of Bi-Paps, too. When mine comes in I plan to use it religiously. Cindy

I received an Rx for a Bipap yesterday. FVC has gone from 87% in March to 54% yesterday. Scary, huh. So I called a place today recommended by my ALSALA rep and they said I had to provide not only the Rx but get a copy of my medical records from the clinic. I don't think so. There has got to be another way. Why do they need my whole history from the clinic? I'll have to do some research.

Sharonca

Hi Sharona,
At our last clinic visit, the resp. therapist discussed bipap with my husband (DX 8/07) and told us that medicare as well as alot of ins. companies will not cover bipap unless the FVC is 50% or less. That is pure insanity! But the therapist as well as the nurse let us know that when my husband needs a bipap that he will get one regardless of the numbers. They assured us that there are ways to "fix" the numbers. That was a great relief. Seems like you have to be practically gasping for a breath to be eligible for a bipap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back