Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
I'm guessing this is ALS related? I can still walk but over the last 9 months my gait changed and walking is more difficult. Now that it's warm I brought out my sandals but I can't stop tripping in them. Same for attractive flats. Only my trusty merrels seem to work.

I’m guessing you might be developing foot drops. You can test for this by walking on your toes. If you are unable to walk on your toes without your heels dropping towards the ground, then you have foot drops. The solution would be AFO braces . Unfortunately, I have not found a way to wear these with sandals.

If foot drop is not the problem, then there may be weakness more proximally in the legs, i.e. towards the thighs or it may be a spasticity problem. Your neurologist or physical therapist can evaluate you for determining the exact nature of the problem.

All the toes of any of my sandals are chewed up where my toes drag. I am choosing to walk more slowly instead of giving up sandals completely. I am way too fond of my colourful toenails and I am vain vain vain apparently.

I wear Keen sandals if I feel like I need some extra support or intend to walk over uneven ground (which is now anything other than sidewalk)- which have closed toes and a fair amount of support.

There was a great discussion a while back about toe drop. Karen is right- it's ALS related, but the nature of the issue would need to be determined. https://www.alsforums.com/forum/gen...unaware-connection-between-foot-drop-als.html

Kristina,

I had to give away all my Ecco sandals. They were so comfortable. I am just too much at risk for turning over my ankle. I'm still good with running sneakers. I bought some new padded insoles so my feet don't hurt.

Do whatever it takes to avoid falling. I don't care how my running shoes look. I wear them with shorts and even casual dresses.

I got a pedicure a few weeks ago. What a challenge for the nail technician. Between my toes jumping and the curl, she had her work cut out for her. I got gel nails because they'll last a month or more. Same with hands. The lady who does my pedi and mani spends 45 minutes massaging my feet and arms. It feels so good and I come out in a much better mood.

Beauty knows no pain usually applies to cramming your toes into ill fitting shoes. Not falling over and injuring yourself thereby speeding up progression. My advice is to get rid of shoes that cause you to trip. The other option is to wear the fancy shoes in a wheelchair. You can still look spiffy and be safe.

Vincent

Thanks everyone! Regarding foot drop, I can stand and walk a few steps on my toes, but I can't do so on my heels. Not sure if that is significant. I do drag my feet quite a bit due to upper leg weakness, and it may be that these shoes trip you up if you drag them. Anyway I am sticking to only using them in wheelchair as Vincent said.

Yep, I neglected to mention that not being able to stand on your heels (or toes) is also foot drop. AFOs help either situation. They may not be cute, but they help prevent falls. My falls have occurred when I was not wearing AFOs. Anyone for an ugly shoe contest?

Even though I can still walk in my running sneakers and also in certain types of Sketchers, when I fell in September 2016, the next six months was a nightmare.

Everything I tried on either didn't fit, hurt my sore ankle, or made it impossible to balance. I probably bought from and returned to Amazon at least 20 different types of sneakers/shoes/slippers. I bought ankle braces, inserts, and everything imaginable. I ended up wearing slide ons a size too large with thick socks and either hopping (good old days when I could) or begging a ride in my transfer chair.

It was my "good leg" and I got back quite a bit ROM in the pool. It still hurts but it can hold me up. I'm very careful walking now.

Ugly shoes? I should have taken pictures when I was ordering from Amazon.

I've always been all about comfort over style. How I dress now isn't much different than how I've always dressed......only the clothes are much larger as is my butt!

i am walker, too. tried mbt kisumu sandals, but they are not appropriate for me, since my right food dropped.
sneakers have no aternative, regardles of temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back