Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
I have great breathing numbers (FVC of 85 sitting up, 75 lying down). I like to sleep on my back with my hands folded on my chest. I use two pillows so I'm not flat. I have no trouble breathing until I rest my hands on my chest. It is as though they've become too heavy and the weight is supressing my breathing. Why would this happen when my breathing numbers are so good? I'm small and my hands certainly don't weigh much! It frustrates me. Right when I'm starting to drift off the weight becomes too much and the breathing strain wakes me up.

For me FVC was not a good predictor of my breathing muscle strength. However, my FVC is the same lying down as it is sitting up or even standing. I was given a Trilogy early on just based on my FVC. When I did the complete pulmonary function test, my MIP was 150% and MEP well over 100%. My SNIP is still 130%. I've never had any trouble breathing while sleeping so I'm not counting on my FVC as any kind of benchmark. It has been about the same for the last year.

Since your FVC is about 12% lower lying down, my guess is that by putting your hands on your chest, it increases the work on your inspiratory muscles, making it harder to breath in. I might be wrong so maybe when Laurie weighs in, she'll have more insight.

Kristina, have you had a complete pulmonary function test where they test your breathing muscle strength?

Besides interfering with your chest expansion (which likely is not the position you got the 75 in), putting your hands on your chest can constrain your rib cage laterally as well, if you think about it.

Short-term, you may want to cushion your elbows/forearms with foam/travel pillows so they don't angle down into the bed and so "pull less" on your trunk. That helps protect your shoulder joints as well.

I have the same issue with folding my arms, even sitting up. I have a heck of a time breaking the habit. Until I have trouble breathing, then I move my hands down to beside my hips or over my head. Just one more joy of ALS.
Vincent

Kim, I had the complete PFT when I was first diagnosed, a year ago. It was on the big huge machine too. Since then, I;ve had FVC and SVC calculated in office on the little tiny hand held one.

I had to sleep in a non-adjustable bed during the remodel. Using two pillows bothered me in many ways and I only used them to read. Is an adjustable bed in the works for you? I can still sleep flat but I use the bed adjustments to watch TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back