Diagnosis
06/2015
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Vancouver
We had our first snow here (unexpectedly) last night. It is cold and damp and I have just discovered the old bones and joints don't like it. I have a hot water bottle that provides a nice heat source, but the thing smells like rubber and isn't terribly versatile.

Is anyone using heating pads or other heat sources? What do you love? What would you recommend to someone?

I ordered an electric throw off Amazon. Couldn't live without it!

The low-voltage electric throw when sitting and heated mattress pad for the bed are both good. For lower legs either way, try the Vaso-Wraps.

Also you can get fleece arm and leg warmers (slide on) from adaptive stores, or make some. A caution if trying to use socks or leggings: be careful of skin damage and impaired circulation.

I like to control the part of my body exposed to heat. I like it on my lower back and behind my knees when in bed. I tried various things and just went back to two heating pads turned on low with automatic shut off after two hours. I've used them all summer in FLORIDA. They are very plush and I can position them where I want.

My lift chair has a heater but it's not very warm so I use a heating pad behind my lower back when I'm watching TV. Sometimes I have to fight my dog for it. I finally bought him one.

I do realize, if I can no longer move, I'll have to come up with something different. Probably go back to low voltage pad.

I have an electric blanket, and a smaller electric throw for my lap when I'm in my chair, it's fleece lined and cozy even when not turned on.
And I also ordered leggings from Silverts and they are fabulous, I love them. I went up a size, so they're not restrictive at all, and keep me toasty.
I do love a water bottle, but they cool down so quick :(

Thank you! I didn't think about the animal thing. I have a cat who thinks he has first rights to everything, so I'll have to be prepared to do battle when I get a blanket.

We had experience with the cat vs. electric blanket thing in a chair. It can be an issue. One thought is to put another layer on top of the layer that has wires.

A friend of ours makes corn bags. Basically a cloth bag filled with corn kernels (not sure what type she uses). Heat them in the microwave for a few minutes and they are good for hours! They seem to put out a bit of moisture too. We have several in different shapes and sizes. I wrap a couple around my hubby's feet when the cold weather comes. Also good to toss in the bed before getting in to warm it up.

I use a heated mattress pad in the bed, I find standing or sitting too long my legs turns icy. If my legs are up they are not as cold so if sitting use a otter-man and a blanket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back