Diagnosis
07/2016
Country
US
State
TN
City
Memphis
My mother has ALS and usually needs to have a brace on her foot when standing/walking. Although the brace is not bulky, she still usually uses tennis shoes over the brace. We have a couple of formal events approaching and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on brands or types of more formal shoes that may be amenable to a foot with a brace on it.

Thanks!

Shoes are a major issue for female PALS. Both my sister and I gave up eventually and went with sneakers. You might want to look at Propet brand. I have a couple of pairs but they are ugly. The person who designs a cute shoe that works with an afo will be a hero

I have two pairs of Alegria fisherman sandles that I wear with my AFO's and a pair of Keds. (I had to get wide ones for their to be enough room. One pair of my sandles is brown, the other is covered in pink flowers. Alegria has other styles that might work. For formal events, I just wear my ballet flats. I am normally in my travel wheelchair (PWC is on order). I don't walk around much but I do use a rollator at home and short distances.

Early on when i could walk i would tape my ankle with K-Tape. Utube can show you how and then wore ballet flats
Now i wear water shoes, there are some cute ones out there. Not fashion forward but still cute and easy to put on

The problem with dress shoes is the heel height. Braces are usually set up for a 3/4 inch heel. Anything higher pitches you forward, and lower and you're climbing a hill. For men this isn't a problem as there isn't much difference between dress and running shoes. For women heels start at 2 inches and go up. You can't wear a brace designed for running shoes in a 2 inch plus heel. The only safe options are a brace designed for a higher heel, or a lower heel shoe. It sucks, but those are the facts of life with a brace.
Vincent

I was able to buy some 'dress' shoes where I purchase my braces. They aren't dressy like normal shoes but do look better with dress pants etc. than sneakers. I just last week started donating all my skirts and dresses as I am not comfortable with having the braces (black) showing. They come almost to the knee and as the knee/thigh weakens more will be needed.
I agree that the biggest problem is the heel height....look around for some flats that might work, that's what mine are.
Good luck.

I was able to find 2 pairs from the Arcapedico brand. One is a Mary Jane for "dress" and the other is a stretchable fabric. I so agree that the shoes we need to wear are ugly and I have the braces on both feet. Not an option for me to take braces off, wear regular shoes and go in a wheelchair. We tried that but w/o the braces I was unable to stand/balance to get in the car and needed a few people to help. Another embarrassing moment. Oh well. Do what you can and go!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back