Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
NC
City
Littleton
I may have missed it, but I think it's been a while since we warned PALS about injuring themselves by straining to use weakened body parts.

Matt has had 7 shoulder surgeries, so I've been afraid of this one. As he slips down the bed, he kept reaching up over his head to grab the headboard (of the hospital bed) and pull himself back up. His arms have been getting weaker at a pretty constant pace, but he just didn't believe it could happen.

Pulling himself up the bed Friday he felt a very familiar sharp pain in his right shoulder and has been unable to do much with that arm since. We had the pain under control until last night when he decided to sleep on his left side again. Now hes back in misery.

We haven't rushed to have it checked because we have ice, heat, and pain meds, but I guess we need to find out what we are dealing with. Sadly, I suspect this will just hasten what is happened get to his arms.

PALS, please trust us when we say that weakened limbs can fail suddenly, causing damage to joints and soft tissue that you cannot recover from.

Is it the sign of a battle hardened CALS that I'm neither surprised nor distraught? It's sad, but it's just one more thing to deal with (when we can squeeze in time between all the other appointments).

Becky
Queen of Everything (sooner or later)

What can I say? ALS SUCKS!

I have been noticing a lot of knee, wrist, and worst of all ankle pain. I had damaged my ankles a lot as the old Peter. Now when my wife puts shoes on me it feels like they are just going to fall apart as she wiggles them on. More of the life changes we have to deal with.

Damn Nuts, that's going to really change things if that shoulder doesn't heal up well.

"Damn Nuts".... now that's funny, Tillie! I've lost count of how many times I've said that when putting Darcey's sling strap under her legs...

Becky... let Matt know that we're thinking about the both of you!!

Jim & Darcey

Bekky, I do so relate to your post. I was the one who injured my man though. By simply lifting his left arm to place it in the sling,I think I did some bad harm to my Jim's shoulder. He had tears. I just couldn't believe it. All I did was move him too quickly. It was the beginning of a bad day. One I would like to forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back