Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Louisiana
City
SW
My wife has started having severe muscle cramps in her jaws. It has gotten so bad she can tolerate chewing only for a short period of time. So right now for the past couple of weeks she has been drinking her meals, cup of soups and breakfast milk shakes.

She will be going to the ALS clinic in about 3 weeks, so I am sure this can be addressed then, but is there anything over the counter. Or any other ideas for what I could do that might help here while she is waiting?

Her regular doctor doesn't want to add or change any medications until she is seen by the ALS clinic.

Thank You.

No ideas, but the jaw cramps that go into the bottom of the tongue are the worst.

Valium. It's what works for me. I also take magnesium in pretty large doses.

Th jaw issues can get dangerous for me, I have chipped and cracked teeth, bitten all the insides of my mouth. My tongue often gets stuck between my teeth, I often fear I will bite my tongue off.... a mouth piece for sports, cost a few bucks, helps.

Your wife may not not be dealing with loss of control of her jaw, like me, but a mouth might be helpful; especially when it gets cold.

A feeding tube might be helpful

Those r the only things that helped with me for that

Evening,

pat

Don't know about jaw cramps but I was having extremely intense cramps in my hands and legs. I drink tonic water and that seems to help a lot but after a recent bought of intense cramping my wife found a product at a health store.... called 'Hyland's Leg Cramps'. Worked great... not been a problem since.

I am taking riluzole and there doesn't seem to be any issues.

I told my dr. that I had been drinking tonic water and that it helped a bit and she said that the quinine in the tonic water comes from the Cinchona tree bark and that I could probably find it in a health store.
No luck with the bark alone, but we found that the Hyland's product contained this bark as one of the active ingredients.

I found it interesting to note that Cinchona bark has been used to treat malaria.

Hylands is a homeopathic medicine. This means that the dosages are extremely small....a fraction of what the therapeutic dose of the actual med would be. If this works, it should not interact with anything else you are taking. If it helps that is wonderful! I think it's worth a shot for anyone who can't get relief. I know I'm planning on buying some. You don't take it as a preventative. You take it when you feel the cramping begin. That's how homeopathy works. Here are the ingredients if anyone cares to know:

Hyland’s Leg Cramps contains 5 botanicals and one mineral that help to relieve pains in limbs and joints:
Cinchona Officinalis 3X HPUS (Quinine) – for symptoms of pains in limbs and joints, worse from slight touch, better from hard pressure (rubbing).

Aconitum Napellus 6X HPUS – Relief of pains in joints, legs.

Gnaphalium Polycephalum 3X HPUS – helps with cramps in calves and feet;

Ledum Palustre 6X HPUS – for pain and cramps in legs; tearing, sore pains in knees; weakness in knees when walking.

Magnesia Phosphorica 6X HPUS – for radiating, cramping pains in calves. Usually worse on right side.

Rhus Toxicodendron 6X HPUS – for pain and stiffness in fibrous tissue. Pains from strain and overexertion.

Viscum Album 3X HPUS – for relief of pain in joints.

In a base of Lactose (milk sugar), N.F.

Thanks to all for the recommendations, will tell my wife about the suggestions and see what she would like to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back