Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
US
State
WV
City
Sandyville
Hi folks. Need some advice regarding my peg tube stoma. Had the tube since December. Only the occasional ooze now and then but nothing serious. About 3 weeks ago, I started having more discharge and small amounts of blood. The site was a little sore as well but I was having a lot of spasms around the site. I don't have any granulation issues as the skin around the Stoma is smooth.

I sent an email to Bedlack and he prescribed Silver Nitrate. Literally burned like hell and the next day the skin around the Stoma had turned black. About three days later, the black skin peeled away and now I'm left with a very red ring (almost the exact size of the bumper ring, even though the bumper ring doesn't touch my skin) and it itches like I have poison ivy. In the last couple of weeks I've tried neosporin, cortisone and zink oxide. Nothing is helping. I should mention that since I've had my tube, I've always cleaned it morning and night with antibacterial hand wipes.

Do you think it's possible I may have developed contact dermatitis from the antibacterial hand wipes? Called my PCP and he put me on a liquid antibiotic, Keflex. I'll take any suggestions you may have.

Thanks.

Vince

It is possible. We only used a moistened sterile guaze pad to wipe the stuff away. Steves would ooze different colors but predominantly a yellow brownish tint.

If it is shiny and red it could be fungal. I would have a doctor look at it if it doesnt improve with the keflex.

I think it should be physically looked at.

Silver nitrate is designed for proud flesh, not healthy flesh! It should also be applied by a nurse as it's nasty stuff - great for the job it is to do, but not something to play with. Well hey you know that now I guess.

But I would have it looked at by a doctor so the right treatment can be used. How awful for you, I hope it is cleared up quickly.

Sorry. I should have posted this in the peg tube subforum. If one of the mods wants to move it, feel free. Just wasn't thinking.

Vince

Hi, Vince,
Keflex is overkill but now that you've started it, have to finish the course.
Yes, it is possible (I would not use "antibac" wipes myself) but that's not an infection and you shouldn't have been rx'd an antibiotic. It could also be simple irritation from the silver nitrate/burning process. You might try plain (no added chemicals or alcohol) aloe or cucumber gel.

Best,
Laurie

Vince that sounds just awful for you!
Please do see a doctor. I really wouldn't like it if it became worse.

Just wanted to let you guys know my wife found a cream at the pharmacy (behind the counter) that cleared up my Stoma and got rid of the itching completely in 4 days. It's called Calmoseptine. Never heard of it but it cleared it right up!

Calmoseptine.

Vince

Zinc oxide + menthol (may be cheaper house brands available in some drug stores). Widely used for rashes. Glad you got relief.

So glad you got relief, zinc creams can be wonderful on many types of issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back