Diagnosis
07/2008
Country
US
State
Ky
City
Benton
Can anyone tell me what specifically qualified yourself or your loved one for the VA special monthly compensation in thr SMC r category as your ALS progressed? What did your approval reason letter say? Trying to figure out for spouse if he will ONLY qualify once TOTAL paralysis with loss of bladder and bowel spinter control or if loss. The requirement for this leveel of SMC r is confusing as says must be receiving under "o" first where the complete paralysis and loss of bladder & bowel spincter control is a must. Did you qualify at any lesser progression? Spouse would be in need of nursing home care if caregivers were not helping but not exactly at total paralysis yet, i guess. Thanks for any answers.

Hi Lizzie, my husband is barely walking and using his hands but still speaks and eats. He has had an r2 rating since February. You do not need to be paralyzed.

Do you go to a va hospital for appointments, testing, etc? If so, contact your pva rep and they will help you fill out the paperwork for disability questionnaire and aid and attendance and get it submitted to his VA docs. We had the docs fax it to our pva rep so they could hand carry it down the hall to the VA rater.

Steph

ALS won't cause loss of bowel and bladder control (although it is occasionally seen, it is generally due to other problems.) Apparently they are applying the rules for spinal cord injury not ALS.

Lizzie, he qualifies as soon as he has the diagnosis! Contact your local PVA to help you get through the red tape.

Lizzie, he qualifies as soon as he has the diagnosis! Contact your local PVA to help you get through the red tape.

I'm not so sure. At least, this was not true when I was involved in the matter.

This is what I think I know:
As soon as a veteran has the diagnosis, they may be approved at 100% P&T. But qualifying for the additional Special Monthly Compensation levels requires different levels of actual disability, such as the loss of use of two extremities or the need for assistance in the activities of daily living.

Cheerleader, do you have a source for your statement?

In order to qualify for SMC "R" you must first be receiving the maximum "O" benefits. Your Paralyzed Veterans of America representative may be able to advise what SMC you may qualify for.

At Steve's evaluation inpatient assessment in 2/2015, they 0bserved him walking and basically his way of living. The kept good records on his ability to eat and dress alone, toilet alone, etc. They basically documented everything they saw from the aides to the therapists to the doctors and psychologist. Because they kept such good records, they were able to get sec for him. This was his timeline....

12/2014 first comp payment 100% permanent and total
1/2015 increase due to aid and attendance and housebound status
2/2015 input assessment which led to an increase in 4/2015

Record keeping is very important as well as a log of changes. Keeping track and copies of all medical testing is very important for documentation.

They rate each area and sometimes they add up to an r2 rating but you may have a lesser rating, as we did, in the interim. We were advised to submit a new disability questionnaire and aid and attendance form each time we visited clinic or had an assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back