Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
CA
State
Canada
City
Somewhere In
I forgot to ask if anyone was put through a memory exam at their clinic visit.

Seems I failed two parts. I couldn't recall five words after one minute. And then I struggled to come up with words that began with S in an allocated time. Sheesh. This 47 year old has the memory of an old gal.

Just curious if someone has had it done and failed areas too.

Thanks.

I always have cognitive screening at the clinic.
Some degree of cognitive dysfuction is unfortunately common with this but progression to full dementia is somewhat less frequent.
How significant did they find your deficits? I think under stress it is fairly easy to panic. Get a friend to try the words beginning with a different letter ( something normal not x or q) without you knowing what letter they pick. 15 or more is considered fine in 60 seconds so I was told

Steve has an okay memory somedays ...other days its not so good. Clinic asks about it but doesnt test for it. Steve has lost. Speed with word recall and often substitutes a like word without realizing it. He has been having more confusion and forgetfulness.

no cognitive tests ever. No questions either. (that I remember, anyway! ! !}

I have clinic next Wednesday again (already, -they put me two eery two months after my last visit) they have never done cognitive testing but I sent my ALS nurse a note about my concerns and she said we would discuss it - maybe test?

My next clinic visit is in two weeks. I'm going to mention memory tests. Every time I can't remember something, I blame it on age!

LE the fronto temporal decline is not so much a memory thing, like do you have a memory. My Chris had FTD but he had an excellent memory.

Research is now showing that around 50% PALS experience some degeneration of the fronto temporal area of the brain. As I understand it's not that easy to test for because regular memory tests or dementia screens just don't really address it well. Often questioning the CALS can give a better indication of changes that are occurring.

Chris only had one testing, which was at the clinic when he was diagnosed. He passed easily because it was only testing for certain things and yet he was already displaying behavioural variant FTD.

DANG!
Typing in a thread on memory testing and I went and forgot and typed a banned word so my post went to mod. Apologies Nikki - if only you could edit that stupid list!

As we know too well there are no rules in ALS. My mom had very significant memory loss as did my uncle. One aunt had no cognitive issues the other had behavioral changes with intact memory. The cognitive testing I have in clinic involves more than memory there are some tests that are more processing and organization. The big genetic studies I do insist on a questionnaire filled out by a SO and they also do extensive neuropsych testing lasting 1-2 hours

So far no tests, but I think they'd probably flip out over my responses since I tend not to play well with others when they're attempting to categorize me (as many of you have probably guessed already).

I dunno why but those tests always remind me of the old Mad Cow Disease joke...

Two cows are standing in a pasture and one asks the other "Aren't you worried about that Mad Cow Disease that's going around?" and the other cow says "Why should I be worried? I'm a helicopter".

Brad my Chris found himself nearly in hysterics as the lady who did his testing was muslem with full clothing and veil, and obviously English (or even strayan) was not her first language.

His letter was 'p' so he quickly said 'promiscuous' which then took up time he should have been using to give more 'p' words as she didn't know if it was a real word or one he had made up ...

They do the testing on me every 6 months, it's a pain in the arse! Cognitive tests key on short term memory, attention span, concentration, as well as ones ability to follow directions.
I dread these tests, I was never good at repeating numbers and letters backwards, and in specific sequences.

My results shocked me. I didn't feel stressed during the testing. Frankly, I thought it was unnecessary. I was shocked that I couldn't recall the five words after a minute or so, and more shocked that when given choices on the same words that I chose wrong. When iI was asked to say words starting with the letter S, I was confident. I was a journalist for years. What another shock when the words didn't come. I had to drive two hours today and tried it again, on my own, the change news obvious. Looking back though, I had thought to myself that my vocabulary was shrinking. Same with my spelling. Thank goodness for autocorrect. Chalked it up to age or stress. Quite the eye opener, but in reality it really hasn't impacted my day-to-day life. More so it amazes me how insidious these MND's are. I was first sent to a neuro before I even realized I had a problem. Tuesday felt similar.

Tim had cognitive function tests along with all the other tests when he saw his team at the VA. He actually had an 8 hour testing on cognitive and psychological function before his ALS diagnosis after being mugged at work with extremely slow recovery, by WCB. He absolutely loved all of it, and scored exceptional on the cognitive/psych testing. While he was being tested in the VA I was there trying to do it silently myself and did miserably, while he did amazingly.
Something that is interesting and has nothing to do with ALS, is that people with Tourettes Syndrome absolutely freeze up during a timed test. My son has Tourettes which he inherited from my side and it was quite astonishing at the difference it made when he wrote a test with no time limit, and then wrote the same one timed. I do believe that there are many people that have difficulty with test that are timed, and would do fine if they didn't have the pressure, but maybe that is part of the test.
You mentioned that you are 47 and if I recall correctly I found a huge decrease in my memory around that time, but it did improve in my 50s, mind you I was going through a stressful divorce, and a loss of a family member, stress will most definitely affect memory.

Paulette

You are you all...where am I?

Nah! I think a lot of mine is related to stress. My main problem is getting my tongue and lips to form correctly for words with too many syllables...only have my face works...the other half is a lazy git.

God bless, Janelle x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back