Is Flexing & Unflexing Toes and Ankle a Precursor to Foot Drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

martini

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
02/2016
Country
ARG
State
Krebil
City
San Juan
Every night while lying awake my toes and ankle on left side flex up and down. It is kind of like clonus except I can stop it if I try. It actually helps my spasticity so I let it go on sometimes for a half hour or so. Now my left foot slaps the floor while walking sometimes. Is this flexing and unflexing a knock on the door that my Bulbar issues are heading south?
Did any of you experience this rhythmic flexing while lying down?

Never experienced the flexing of toes and ankles flexing up and down while laying down, but I sure can identify with the slapping sound of my left foot hitting the floor. Sure sounds like foot drop (or drop foot? ?). Have found that flexing my foot/ankle while laying down helps somewhat with my foot drop. No falls since starting this exercise. Best of wishes to you ! !

So you Flex and unflex as part of an exercise, OK. In my case it is more of an urge almost spasmodic. I do it without thinking about it. It is weird because I can sense that my foot is "dying". This voluntary spasm seems like my bodies compulsion to keep the foot "alive".
Every night my foot seems to be trying to muster some life back into itself. I thought this was a common early happening in foot drop but maybe I am wrong.

My husband (PALS) did not experience this before his foot drop. My mom has involuntary movements while resting (she has Parkinsons) that stop if she moves intentionally.

Foot drop was the 2nd of my symptoms but I did not have any flexing.

thanks for responding. Giving this more thought.. I can feel my constant flexing and unflexing is relieving the tension that is building up in my calf muscles and muscles in back of the thigh. I tend to stiffen up each night to the point where it becomes a borderline cramp. Flexing and unflexing takes a toll on my foot and not sure if it is related to my slap foot. I will never know for sure. I guess I should be glad I can move my foot as there are many who can not.

I showed this to my Neuro. He said this is Clonus.

My right toe bends all on its own, but my left foot is the one with the drop. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back