Diagnosis
10/2014
Country
US
State
GA
City
Tucker
I have searched and came up with swollen feet. My wife just yesterday started having circulation issues. After sitting for a while her left foot will turn a little purple. Nothing too serious at present. Her right foot which has been the least impacted is tingling like pins and needles.

Has anyone experienced this? My wife is panicking a little and the ALS Dr's are telling us to go back to GP as it's not ALS related. At this stage how can anything happening not be ALS related?

Thanks John

Purple feet sounds like a vascular problem and definitely not ALS. Not something to be toyed with. See your GP asap.
Vincent

SERIOUS PROBLEM, not ALS, but you need to see the doctor tomorrow.

This sounds like acrocyanosis. Actually it is related to ALS. The lower leg muscles provide substantial assistance to the heart in returning blood from the feet and lower legs. When the lower leg muscles are weakened due to ALS their ability to provide this function is substantially reduced, and eventually totally eliminated. This was one of Annie's first symptoms and led to numerous tests looking for arterial or other circulatory problems. None were found.

After her ALS diagnosis the cause of her acrocyanosis became obvious to all the physicians. The swelling eventually also led to separation of some of her toenails. Acrocyanosis is a symptom, not a disease in itself. If one has been diagnosed with ALS, especially if already experiencing leg weakness, I think there is very little chance that it's caused by anything other than ALS.

Elevating the legs as well as compression cuffs on the lower legs can give temporary help.

Phil

Thank you too everyone for their rapid responses. Phil, I looked that up and it could very well be what it is. I will talk to her Dr tomorrow. Thanks!

Keeping the feet & legs warm & elevated, including extending w/c foot rests and varying tilt/recline positions, and in pressure relief boots/bed foot elevated in bed, is recommended. Massage is also good. Massage the feet upward into the leg, then rub upward from the calves into thighs, and thus move any fluid up. Always rub up, not around or in where there is swelling, to minimize pressure on the soft tissue. If there are outright "boggy" areas, leave those be as well.

I agree it could be related. When my Chris began to have more serious breathing issues I noticed that he would become quite purple around the heels of his feet during the day and his hands would swell. I knew instinctively that he was beginning to retain CO2 from other symptoms and observing his breathing.

Elevation helps as does massage, but bipap may be looked at to help the cause. Let us know how you go with the doctors.

Yup. Sorry, jf, do not recall if your wife is on BiPAP as yet?

No Bipap yet. Last check up for breathing she was still doing good in that area and she still doesnt seem to be struggling for breath. End of April is our next breathing checkup

My dad has it. They've recommended compression socks and elevation for it. One doctor thought it was peripheral artery disease but the clinic said it was just due to decreased movement.

Annie's acrocyanosis appeared long before there was any decline in her breathing. It wasn't the result of CO2 buildup. It was simply caused by the inability of her leg muscles to help circulation in her lower legs and feet. The result was an accumulation of fluids in her lower extremities. She was getting normal blood-gas exchange, it just wasn't getting properly circulated in her lower extremities.

Because it appeared in the absence of widespread ALS effects none of her doctors identified it with ALS. When it began she was only having trouble with her left lower leg, notably foot-drop. The color ranged from raspberry reddish to purplish. As she weakened it became more pronounced until it reached a steady-state, i.e., it didn't get any worse. It then developed in her other leg as it became weakened by the ALS. This discoloration was pretty much confined to her ankles and feet. The swelling extended upward to include a little bit of the extreme end of her lower legs, but that too was predominately in her ankles and feet.

Once her disease had progressed to the point of diagnosis, then her doctors readily identified the discoloration as a consequence of her ALS caused leg muscle weakness. In retrospect I don't know why, coupled with her obvious lower leg muscle atrophy, it didn't cause some of the doctors to at least start investigating the possibility of ALS. My conclusion is that most doctors think in terms of their past experience and automatically try to fit the current patient's presentation into that body of past experience. That's why you'll find so many on this forum who strongly recommend that patients seek out doctors, especially neurologists, who specialize in ALS - they have a much better experience base with ALS and are more likely to be able to make more accurate and quicker assessments.

Definitely due to immobility. The solution involves evaluating and adjusting her position when seated as well as in bed. Poor circulation is also responsible for blood clots so it is time to consider anticoagulants BEFORE the first blood clot occurs. Aspirin is good-- unlikely that a doctor will order Coumadin until she has actually had a clot. Refer to Swollen Feet and Blood Clots and Coumadin

This is a good topic for me as I get purple feet/calves also. I took a photo and showed it to my ALS doctor and he said it does happen.

Attachments

• purple foot.jpg
    purple foot.jpg
    534.2 KB · Views: 13,748
mine got a little like that for a month, then red, no pain/itch -- odd

My dad is doing better now with it but he was having a horrible time with his feet being very red and a little purplish. The doctor said it was caused by immobility. They readjusted how he was keeping his feet elevated and had him wear comprension socks and after a few weeks it cleared up dramactically. But, I'd report it to his doctor right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back