Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
Hi everyone. My dad is starting to get breathing anxiety. He can't take a deep breath and is getting out of breath after walking or very little exertion. I've suggested slowing the breathing down, in thru the nose, out thru the mouth, listening to music for distraction/calming but don't know what to do. Called the doc for anti-anxiety meds but may not hear back over the weekend. Is there anything that can be done?

Sounds like he needs a bipap. It pushes air into the lungs, then off to allow exhale. I use mine more all the time. Started with just for overnight; now for naps, too.

He just got one. He'll wear it at bedtime so I'm hoping that will help.

He can also use it during the day and evening.

He may have some trouble getting use to his bipap at first and could get very frustrated and that could cause more anxiety. I suggest you give it a try first while he is watching TV, so his mind is occupied and he doesn't concentrate on the sound of his breathing. took my husband about 4 days to be able to make it thru the night with his trilogy.

Mine was set right from the beginning, and it is like hypnosis. I go to sleep right away, and wake up rested. It should be set to aid sleep; not overpower breathing.

After I transfered from private co. to VA, Laurie Gelb taught me how to set it up myself. Thanks, Laurie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back