Diagnosis
1/2013
Country
US
State
Iowa
City
Cedar Rapids
I think I just aspirated some water. What can I do?

You should be fine as our lungs can absorb water, as long as it is not too much. The fact that you were able to start this thread is a good sign. Food is always worse as it can not be absorbed. My poor husband aspirated water while I was showering him the other evening, and the worse part I think was the panic, and initial bit of coughing. I pulled him out and tried to get him to his Sip & Puff ventilator so he could get a deep breath, but the hose was not long enough with where the wheelchair was parked. I was going to move it, but my husband regained his breath and told me it was OK. from now one I will park his wheelchair so that the vent is accessible in a hurry.

I get that more and more often. What helps me is taking very tiny sips.

Sure is scary though!

What in the shower? Snicker.......

Water seemed to choke my Pals more than anything. I give him Coke now and he does fine. It has to do with the carbonation.

showering in coke could be tricky let alone sticky :mrgreen:

seriously though, aspirating is really scary, my PALS learned how not to panic which is easier said than done, and it makes a big difference in getting through the episode.

as others have said - saliva and water don't usually cause too much trouble. food particles are the biggest issue.

Water is actually the hardest thing to swallow. Ice water or hot water will stimulate a better swallow. The carbonation and taste of soft drinks will do the same but are not nearly as helpful for hydration. The chemicals in them, coffee, tea, etc. require water in order to be flushed out by the kidneys so you don't get a s much hydration from drinking them. Much if not most of the water in them goes to flushing the kidneys, not hydrating body tissues. Juices, milk, or anything thicker than water will go down better and Thicket can be used to thicken any liquid. That is fine if he can drink enough to have a net gain in water, but " free water", water not contained in other liquids including tube feedings, is important. All things considered, a feeding tube is the easiest way to get enough water down without the risk of aspiration.

If he can use a straw, try that. A person drops their chin to drink through a straw and that 'dropping of the chin' helps close off the airway opening in the throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back