Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Cincinnati
My mother has almost lost all of the mobility in her hands. She can use her right hand to pick up bite size items but they are becomming clenched. I went to a medical store and found eating utensils with oversized handles but Im curious as to if they would work. I am thinking ones with foam would be more comfortable? Does anyone know of any good ones? She also want to try and straighten out her fingers and I'm not sure what to do about that either.

Thanks.

-Angela

Angela,

My fingers are curling inward too, but there are no contractures yet. I use a resting splint which goes from the tips of my fingers to my elbow. It is covered with soft fleece and held on with Velcro straps. It is not a perfect solution, but since I've been wearing it at night, my fingers are still fairly straight.

This is a problem to discuss with her OT. Utensils need to be extremely light weight. There is also a utensil "cuff" that she might find helpful. The OT will be able to evaluate exactly where the weakness is and find ways to work around it.

Thank you all but could you please spell out the OT? She sees a neurologist but he is not very helpful in determining what do to about her needs. I feel so alone. Maybe I should contact the ALS Association and speak with a nurse?

Occupational Therapist? She doesn't even have one... She is on private insurance still and we don't have skilled or home healthcare yet. Don't be afaraid to explain anything to me I am 23 and am learning everyday how to care for her.

Good ideas.

Contact ALSA and MDA. Ask for copies of their caregiver guides. Excellent info on equipment, how tos, contact info
For assistance or resources. Meantime check out their websites, there is an online version.

Also do some reading at ALS from both sides dot org

Any chance of her attending an ALS Clinic?

surely there must be a multidiscipline clinic in cincinnati with an ot. i do range of motion on my fingers several times a day to slow curling. place finger tip palm down on edge of table and push down hard, yes it hurts a little but effective for me. do each finger this way. been doing this for almost a year this wasshowed to me by ot

HI Angela

I have quite a few suggestions for you.

1. First--yes on the foam larger eating utensils. They will be easier for her--but only temporary I'm afraid.
2. She needs range of motion exercises--and likely splints on her hands at night to keep them from curling--if not during the day as well) an occupational therapist can teach you to do the exercises to help her joints stay mobile as possible. For the hands, it's basically taking the fingers and curling them into a gentle fist. STOP at the first sign of discomfort. Make sure you do each hand at least 3 times daily. Make sure you OPEN the fist so each finger is opened between rotations. Or--press each finger (keeping it straight) to the palm and bring it back again to normal position--you can add that to the 'fist' exercise.
3. A multi-disciplinary clinic is like one-stop-shopping in ALS care. Here's the info for your area:

OhioHealth ALS Clinic
Westerville Medical Campus
300 Polaris Parkway, Suite 2151
Westerville, Ohio 43082
614-533-5613
Program Coordinator: Amy Minser [email protected]
Directors:Kristin M. Johnson, DO & John C. Novak, MD

Section of ALS and Related Disorders
Cleveland Clinic
Neurological Institute
9500 Euclid Avenue, S90
Cleveland, OH 44195
Erik P. Pioro, M.D., Ph.D., FRCP(C)
216-444-5559
866-588-2264 (Toll-free)
www.clevelandclinic.org/neurology/treat/als.htm

University of Kentucky
KY Neurosciences Institute
Department of Neurology
740 South Limestone St.
Lexington, KY 40536-0284
Ed J. Kasarskis, MD, PhD
859-294-0452

Here is the Southern Ohio Chapter of the ALS Association: http://webcsoh.alsa.org/site/PageServer?pagename=CSOH_homepage

4. That site also has a lot of useful information, including info on their loaner closet. Please give them a call! If her legs are not stable, she wont' be ale to use a can or walker very easily--and wheelchairs take a LONG time--they need ordered early-- but you may find a loaner.

Wish I could offer more

Last edited:
Thank you soo much. I have contacted the ALS Association a few times and we do have a shower chair and transport wheelchair. I really appreciate everyones helpful advice!

Its good that ALSA are serving at there best.I really appreciate there work. We had the same experience with ALS Association in last year and were so glad with there service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back