Diagnosis
05/2011
Country
US
State
Tennessee
City
Winchester
do u just start out with a couple of hours to get used to it or do an all nighter? what if i panic? i can't move my

I started with a couple of hours during the day while reading or watching TV, then naps, and now wear it all night. Work with your RT to get a mask with a good fit so that you're comfortable.
I'm using a wireless doorbell to call my CALS for assistance.

You can also look into EZ Call by medlabsinc.com for an alarm plate that can be pressed with your head or feet.

I used mine while watching TV and in the evenings til I got used to it, too. Try different masks til you find on that is comfortable for you. I love the SleepWeaver mask.

I had to turn down the pressure to start and then build it up a little over time until I got to the prescribed settings. That allowed me to get used to the feeling of the mask all night and the general feeling of the bilevel pressure switches. Also I found the AVAPS mode much more comfortable.

thanks for the input. i had 2 meltdowns just before i got it today. i tried for hour this evening, i survived. only hope i can tolerate tonite at bedtime. maybe a couple of hours. my mom used 1 for several years before she passed in 05 from enphezema she was a strong i wish i had half the courage she had.

to finish my original post, i have no limb movement so this is scary

There are various masks--if this one is bad, have them try ones that aren't so 'closed'. They make one that's a nasal pillow, the sleepweaver I told you about...some that are full face, and some that just cover the nose with a chin strap.

Be sure to ask about the ramp setting, so it goes up gradually--that worked better for me, at least. As long as your mouth isn't covered, hopefully you won't panic with it--but see about a way to have a bell or something attached so if you move your head and need it off, your CAL will hear?

You may find that laying with your head up a little bit will help, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back