Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Chamblee
Constipation is a real problem with people whose mobility is gone or is restricted. My PALS regularly suffered with it and while in the hospital, had to have an impaction manually removed which was painful and embarrassing. We have a great doctor at home hospice and she suggested a 8 oz. glass of prune juice with 2 tablespoonful of milk of magnesium added. It has worked great. Whenever the problem occurs, I give this mixture (I call it the "Blowout Cocktail") and it works wonders without being too harsh.

We've just started my Dad on prune juice and mirolax (not together). It seems to be helping a bit. I'm hoping the coconut oil helps too.

***** like*****

I am definately saving this for future use. Great suggestions. And I will be watching for more.

Good old prunes. Many years ago I worked in an elderly care home. The " inmates" had prunes every morning at breakfast. Magic. Kiwifruit especially the green ones are very helpful as well.

***LIKE**** kiwifruit!

oh, I didn't realize that about kiwifruit. What a treat - going to try that out!

(lol, my spellchecker changes kiwifruit to 'misfiring', haha. Ah, guess I'm too easily amused at 3 a.m.)

When I presented at a Als support group meeting, I told the group that being able to plan when you need to go everyday will help you plan your day and leave the house. If you are in a wheelchair, you can only go at home ( handicapped bathrooms are a joke if you truly have no leg power) We found that miralax and metimucil given at about 10pm worked wonders the next morning. You need to work out the dose and time each person is different. Planning ahead is much better than reacting when things don't work. As you loose core muscles this will even be more important. The clinic called it a bowel plan, we called it colon blow. Have a poopy day, ha ha Penny

I totally agree with you Penny! Fortunately, we figured that out very early in the game.

Hmmm.. hadn't thought about this. Mom has been giving Dad his Miralax and prune juice each morning. We'll have to discuss a change to evening. Meanwhile, we're trying out a kiwi today!

I found Miralax to work great when my husband was suffering with constipation. now we have the opposite problem--too much poo. My husband has taken a liking to finely ground nuts in everything he eats and I think it is making everything very soft.

Penny-very funny!

Barbie, have you tried adding foods from the BRAT diet. It is used to curb diarrhea. B- bananna, R-rice, A-apple, T-toast. Add 1 at a time, to see if it corrects the problem. Good luck

Penny

yes--he eats alot of rice now that he decided to become a Vegan...Bananas were off limits when he was constipated but have been putting them in his oatmeal recently for that very reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back