Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Chamblee
About 15 yrs. ago my wife had a severe case of viral meningitis. Some of the pain she experienced in her upper shoulder and spinal area are similar to the pain she felt before being diagnosed with ALS. Could there be a correlation between these two diseases states? I have read that in autopsy's of ALS patients, there is an abnormal concentration of viral type particles. Could anyone help me with this line of thinking?

The straight answer: no one knows.

My own personal un-medical-school-educated opinion: it's likely.

I had the swine flu in late 2009. My ALS symptoms started within 6 months. I do indeed think it's related. My GP agrees. One neurologist agrees it might be part of the "big picture". Another neurologist said no way.

So that goes back to the straight answer: no one knows. So don't beat yourself up trying to figure it out. It doesn't help, it doesn't cure anything, there isn't anything you could have done differently. It's a moot point. Better to focus on enjoying the good times you have left and making the best you can of every day you are blessed to have with her.

My husband had cat scratch fever and guillain barre syndrome in 1996 and fully recovered. His doctor does not think that it is related.

But he is also a vet and according to the VA, it is service connected. So go figure.

Georgia Peach, I had to laugh at your post. I read cat scratch fever then VET (I was thinking animal). I must have had my head somewhere else.

The ironic part about the cat scratch fever is that we did not have a cat and he actually got scratched at a business. He was very sick with both illnesses. So this is the second time for paralysis. But we are not hoping for a reversal this time.

I also think that my symptoms developed after having a weird virus that was never diagnosed... docs basically ruled everything they could think of out, leaving me with the question, "what was it?" That was in Aug of 2008; I never felt "right" after that, and by the next year I had footdrop, tripping, etc., and was basically diagnosed in early 2010. Thankfully slow progression, but the question has always remained if it has anything to do with that strange month-long illness in 2008.

Not to put out the fire of this discussion, but I myself have been very, very healthy. No strange diseases and almost never even got the flu or colds or anything. No head trauma, not a vet, no work around chemicals. If anything I was piosioned by the air because I worked outside in all kinds of weather. So I think it is just pure sh$&)y luck. How can God just pick someone and do this? A ? For the ages!

I had a flu/cold last March. Then I was dizzy off and on until October. Was told it was a general right side weakness. I asked if it might be ALS. (My Mom had two 1st cousins die of the disease.) I had an MRI which showed that all was normal, normal aging. Had an EMG in December and nerve conduction tests. Was told in January that she thinks it is ALS. Referred me t t to the ALS Clinic, watched me walk, heard me talk, checked my reflexes and checked my blood for metals. She called a week later to say it looks like it's ALS.

I am wondering if there's any auto-immune correlation, why they wouldn't hit every ALS patient with mega-doses of antibiotics? It can't hurt and it may help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back