Opting out of pulmonary assistance . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

busyissy

Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CT
City
Prospect
Is it possible to refuse any pulmonary assistance? How would the illness play out? What is palliative care? Can a comma be induced? Thank you in advance. Sorry for all of us.

No pulmonary care: yes, it's possible. Glen had a bipap here but would rarely use it. How the illness played out would depend on his particular symptoms but most likely scenario is that as his breathing ability decrease, his CO2 levels would increase and he woud basically fade away. Palliative care involves keeping a patient comfortable .. pain meds, anti depressive meds, anti anxiety meds.. rather than doing anything "curative." What that involves depends on the hospice and doctors involved.

Thank you for your reply Katie. Brian has talked about no interventions for either breathing or eating. I haven't had the courage to ask the question about what would happen. (sigh) Such difficult choices, conversations, etc. on both sides of this disease.

HI busy

You haven't been diagnosed, correct? If not--do you really want to be thinking/looking at these issues right now? If you're ultimately diagnosed with ALS--of course you will have many decisions to make; but don't put the cart before the horse.

Your overall health will benefit from keeping as positive as you can. Take care

Is it possible to refuse any pulmonary assistance? How would the illness play out? What is palliative care? Can a comma be induced? Thank you in advance. Sorry for all of us.

The term you are looking for is "palliative sedation" and it is possible. Lots of stuff out there on the Internet about it.

I don't know your situation but when I got my trach my headaches went away immediatly. With the bipap you don't get as much oxygen. If you have als stand up for yourself and do whatever possible to get squared away. There has been stem cell breakthroughs. Visit The ALS association website. The Duke ALS center is located at 922 moreene rd, going north on 15/501 exit moreene rd go right and take immediate right. I wish you well.

Thats a personal decision that should not be encouraged or discouraged wait till you get to that point .I have said l didn't want any intevention either.But I don' know how I will feel when the time comes. And I don' think they induce coma but they make it as comforable as possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back