Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
NV
City
Reno
Are there any Veterans with ALS who were at Ft Lee VA, or anywhere in the Arizona area? Please send me a message if you were. The VA is trying to take away my husbands service connection and cancel our benefits. HUGS Lori

How can this be,im in shock.

So are we. They are saying his active duty was for training. My argument is that he served his active duty alongside other members who if they were diagnosed with ALS, they would get benefits. We need help. Our income will drop to less than $2000 a month.

have you contacted Stu? Maybe he could help...

sadiemae,
The VA turn me down about 2 years ago for the same thing. I had 6 months Active duty and 7 1/2 years in the Army Reserve. They said that I didn't qualify since my DD 214 said Active Duty for Training. I was in with men that were drafted for 2 years and some that had inlisted for 3 years. We all trained together on the fields that were sprayed with 24D and other Herbicides. I don't see how they can presume that the word training would prevent you from getting ALS. I was told that I would have to prove that my Military servive caused my ALS before I could get benifits. As you know proving it is impossible since no one knows for sure what causes ALS. I hope you have better luck then I did. Let me know what they do in your case. Howdy

Amazing how both Army National Guard cars failed at the last turn in todays races.

howdy can you appeal it , take them to court and ask them to prove it is not service related

unfortunately, the VA agrees that ALS is service connected, however the rules are such that you have to have 90 days active duty, which is not for training, and ALL National Guard duty is classified as "for training" This is just the way it is, but I will fight till my dieing day to get it changed. Howdy, do you have any idea how I can find out how many Veterans have ALS that served in Ft Lee or Arizona?

Sadiemae,
I don't know how you can find out how many Veterans that served in Ft Lee or Arizona have ALS. I was stationed at Ft Leonardwood and Ft Chaffee in 1956. I do know that the Army was experimenting with different Herbicides in the 50's & 60's on several Military Bases in the USA. I do know 24D was one of them which is 1/2 of the chemical Agent Orange. The other 1/2 is 245T. In the 60's Agent Orange was used on some of Bases in the USA and Canada. If we could find those records we might be able to do some thing. The only other way is to get Congress to change the law allowing us to qualify for benefits.

Howdy

Wow! That is outrageous, I very much wish I could help. I wasn't at Ft. lee, I also called some of the men I served with and they were never stationed there either, wish I could do more. Have either of you been in touch with the PVA, they may choose to help change this completely oversight. They have helped me, but I was a regular, my prayers are with both of you.

I wish I had the magic words but I don't. If I can do anything just ask. Try Military dot c o m to find other service members from Ft Lee or AZ.

My husband was in Alamogordo, NM from 1983 - 1985

The PVA was the one that helped me fill out all the paper work, when I was turned down they said that the only way I could get qualified would be to prove that my Military service caused my ALS. I can not do that unless I could prove there use of all the Chemicals that they sprayed on the field where we trained.
Howdy

Howdy, if you're still interested in fighting them, can you use the FOIA to request records?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back