Loved one DX
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Surrey
Hello all,

This is very new to me but Im looking for answers. My Brother in Law was diagnosed with ALS 6 months ago. He went from mild symptoms to drastic symptoms since. He no longer has use of his arms....he is on a breathing machine at night....he was just given a neck brace to keep his head up....and has had a fall in his back yard that he could not recover from until someone found him 2 hours later. It seems his disease has progressed so fast :(. Is there a chance things will slow down or will things continue to progress this rapidly? Any idea if he has enough time to see his daughters wedding in July of NEXT year?

Any answers would be helpfull ....positive or otherwise.

John

Sorry about your BIL, John. There really is no way to know for sure about progression. My husband's progression was slow and then would all of a sudden speed up, then slow down again. You just never know.

I do hope he will be able to see his daughter get married!

Welcome to this site, sorry you had to find us...

Brooksea is right, John--there's no telling how fast or steady this will be. I do hope your BIL's fall and inability to get up was due to not having his arms able to help--and not due to his legs being affected. Yet he needs a neckbrace--so there is more than one area in trouble, I would think--I'm not positive.

I hope he's around for the July 1012 wedding, but wonder if they might want to play it safe and bring that date forward to be more sure about his making memories with his daughter. Just an idea.

Thank you all for your honest answers. Its comforting knowing theres a place this can be discussed openly

Sometimes the progression is described as falling off a cliff. One day the muscles reach a very noticiable point of not working and thats when the progression appears to be happening so fast. It's all hard. My husband was diagnosed april '10, he was limping but still climbing ladders on job sites; June I was scrambbling to buy him a walker and get a wheel chair; it's been a year: legs done, arms/hands done, breathing affected, and swallowing difficulty. Take one day at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back